This Disappears When Logged In

Hello There!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by lizardgirl, Dec 6, 2014.

1. lizardgirl

lizardgirl New Member

Hi everyone! My names Lexie and I've recently gotten really into lizards. I've loved them all my life but was never able to get one until about 4 months ago when my bf and I welcomed our first green iguana, Treecko, into our home. He is still young, we're guessing about 6 months. About a month and a half ago we got a second one, Charmander, and we're guessing her to be around 8 or 9 months old because shes a few inches bigger than Treecko. And a week and a half ago we got a female baby veiled chameleon, Kecleon. So yeah, that's my story haha I joined this site in hopes of being able to talk to other reptile lovers and maybe learn some things and help others :) hope to hear from some of you!

2. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Betttttter get working on those big enclosures. They all grow quicker than you expect.

And... I hate you for your cham. I won't get one because I'm too afraid it'll die.

Buuuut, hi. And feel free to check out the care sheets, if you haven't already.

3. lizardgirl

lizardgirl New Member

Haha we plan on having them free range once theyre big enough not to like crawl in the heater and under the doors, and we also have a closet thats the size of a smallish room that we're going to convert to a room for them :)

Don't hate me! Heres a pic of her :D kecleon.jpg

I've done tons of research but I'll definitely check em out

4. Logan

Logan Elite Member

... free ranging is a horrible horrrrrible idea..

5. lizardgirl

lizardgirl New Member

nahhhh, we lizard proof and they would only be allowed in certain rooms. If it doesn't work out though we'll have a backup plan

6. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Mean while your lizards suffer because the humidity and temps are right and kept constant. If you'd done as much research as you say, you'd know this already.

7. ralderfer001

ralderfer001 Active Member

I had a nile monitor that free ranged, he pooped all over the place and not to mention the cost of heating our house to have an ambiant temp of 80f aits just a bad idea, its better to have them in enclosures to provide the right temps and humidity

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Wait a minute!~Are you saying that you are housing them together?

9. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Totally missed that. I got too stuck on the whole free ranging thing.

10. CourtneyAnn

CourtneyAnn Elite Member

If you free range your iggies, which is a very bad idea, please keep the cham in a room they can't get to. She'd be a snack, or get torn up/stressed out! Besides all of the other bad side effects you would have to be concerned with when it comes to free roaming. Also, what if you're sexing was wrong and you have 2 male iggies? Or something like that? And what about UVB? Are you going to flood every room? Just pointing out some things that could go wrong. I'm not an iggy expert. Good luck with whatever you choose, but please put the animals' welfare first. :) And welcome to herp center!

11. lizardgirl

lizardgirl New Member

No, we are not housing them together! I wish I had a pic of what I want to do with the room so you could have a general idea. I know about the UVA/UVB and humidity and all that. What I plan on doing is splitting the room in half with some sort of barrier (haven't figured out what yet) and having live plants, some branches, and areas where they can soak and bask. I know its gonna be a bit of work but I've grown up taking care of many different types of animals/rescues so I'm pretty good with this stuff.

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What you are proposing has at least two very good reasons not to do it.

Iguanas are not good with cohabitation,...they just don't care for the presence of another iguana. If you have two males they will fight, often to the death. And the same maybe true even with 2 females or a male female pair. And if you do indeed have a pair, not only will the male constantly try to breed her, and if she is not so inclined, the fight will be on. And if she does submit, the constant breeding will stress her and reduce her life span. Ands then you will have to deal with eggs and the potential health problems involved with that.
    Additionally if one is a male, the male iguana in breeding season is a force to be reckoned with. They can become horribly aggressive and will attack anything that moves, YOU included! There is no option but to confine them. An adult green iguana can put an adult human in the hospital!

13. ralderfer001

ralderfer001 Active Member

Word. When i free roamed my lizard he was miserable, i couldnt afford an enclosure he needed and had to give him away. and you have two potentially large lizards. and if they fight you will need to seperate em into their own rooms or enclosures. i hate to say this but you should get rid of one your iggys

14. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

That's very true, I actually had a male and female iguana for awhile and not only could they not be kept together, they couldn't even be kept in separate enclosures in the same room. If I tried it the male would puff, bob, and display his dewlap constantly. I can't imagine the stress...imagine repeatedly showing a male betta fish a mirror.

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Free ranging of Igs is generally a poor idea, because most people are unwilling, or unable, to provide a proper habitat. The humidity requirements of igs and other rainforest-dwelling tropicals will quickly give rise to mold problems if the room is not properly prepared for it (most are not). If correct environment is not provided, the Ig will suffer. It may not be immediate, but long term damage to internal organs (specifically kidney and liver) result from long-term dehydration - which for reptiles, often takes the form of inadequate humidity.

It is NOT adequate to provide a few basking and bathing spots within 'adequate' ranges. Your whole house would have to be within those ranges. Essentially, if you want to range your Igs you can, if you are willing to heat and humidify your entire house such that it feels like the Equatorial rainforests of S. America. (Again: mold)

Barring that, you can fix a room for one Ig to have to itself.

You would need to repaint with a water proof mildew resistant paint, such as Drylok - and you would have to do the floors, walls, and ceilings, leaving no gaps. This will prevent, or at the very least slow down the development of mold.

That entire room would need to be maintained at the appropriate heat and humidity that is necessary for Iguanas - which is considerable. They are native to most of the Amazon basin, and much of Central America. They should be kept warm and humid at all times.

Everything would of course have to be Ig-Proofed (outlets covered, bulbs safely where they cannot be reached, no places where the IG can get that you cannot remove it.)

You would need to remove any carpet (also for sanitation - repeated iguana defecating and urates in it will NOT always come out). For floor covering (over the Drylok painted floorboards) I would recommend something easy to clean, and moderately waterproof. Many laminates are not suitable for high-humidity environs. Ceramic tile may work if you are careful to seal the grout well, and clean it regularly. Linoleum would have to be replaced regularly because Ig claws would tear it apart. You might be able to find suitably sturdy shower enclosure plastics for this purpose. Or well-sealed concrete, if the room is on a ground floor, or well-enough supported for the added weight.

Each animal needs a room thus, if they are to have a room unto themselves.

Many landlords will not let you make such modifications, so I assume you are a property owner?

If the above cannot be managed, you will need to look into making very large cages (6 foot cubes would do) that WILL provide the appropriate environment for Iguanas, and enough room to be healthy.

While they can tolerate occasional forays into average ambient room temps and humidity, extended exposure in the long run,will destroy their organs, and shorten their lives dramatically. The average human habitation is unsuitable for the environmental needs of an Iguana. Unless you live in a non-air conditioned home in South or Central America.

All considerations. Love your lizards, and do the best you can for them.

CocoChi313 likes this.