This Disappears When Logged In

Hello - new to this game!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by riqui1, Oct 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riqui1

riqui1 Active Member

Thanks!

That "recipe" is very helpful; a bit abbreviated from others that I had found. I think I figured out why he eats better in the morning - I tend to put his fresh food in when he is out and about in the afternoon and, when he is put in earlier than he wanted to be, he has a tendency to try to use the dish for a stepping stone (in an attempt to free himself again) and ends up throwing it all over his enclosure! I guess that I may need to rethink that method! :)

2. Lyn'sSteve

Lyn'sSteve Elite Member

Hi riqui1,

Just wanted to say hi, and welcome you to the site. You came to the right place for help! Good luck!

3. riqui1

riqui1 Active Member

He Ate!

We were trying the "iguana salad" again this morning and, after 4 hours of seeing that he wasn't gonna touch it, I went out in the yard and found what is probably the last clump of dandelions available. Guess what? He ate them! Now, I need to make sure I get all that I can out off of the patch before the weather destroys them. I will try putting them half under the salad this afternoon and see if that forces him to eat something good for him! I'll throw whatever else I can get into a veggie bag for the fridge and hopefully, before I run out of those leaves, I can get him eating right! Wow...I actually got pretty excited when I saw him do that! :D Thanks again, you guys, for all of your help.

4. SpindleHead

SpindleHead Elite Member

You should use caution when feeding plant material from your or someone else's yard. You need to be sure that no pesticides or chemical fertilizers have been applied to the lawn. I am only telling you this as a precaution

5. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

He is going to take a while to get use to the food switch, just be patient with him. Keep offering it to him.

6. riqui1

riqui1 Active Member

Patience...

I did definitely consider the pesticide/fertilizer slant before I went out into the yard this morning. I know we don't use any on ours (maybe it would look a little better if we did!) and we don't have a dog, so I figure that it should be pretty safe. I figure it is a step in the right direction. I can at least now start sneaking in the other greens and salad until I find more he will eat and like! Ah, patience...and lots of chopping and left over turnip greens... Good thing I come into this as a mother of three young boys...I definitely have practice with the patience part! :D

7. SpindleHead

SpindleHead Elite Member

Dandelion greens are available in many stores. I actually buy mine from Wal-Mart.

I only mentioned the pesticide as a precaution, as long as you are confident that there is no contamination it should not be a problem. It sounds as though you have a pretty good handle on things, good job!

8. aztec4mia

aztec4mia Elite Member

Welcome to the HCN, lot of good info here hope you find what you are looking for

9. riqui1

riqui1 Active Member

Walmart? Really?

I was in no way offended by you reminding me to be careful for the chemicals that could be on my lawn. It is something that is probably very easy to overlook, if you do put these on your lawn and find them normal to use.

Where, may I ask, did you find the dandelion greens in Walmart? I have been to my local SuperCenter and can only find the mustard, turnip and collard greens in the canned vegetable section! Honestly, it never even occured to me that they may have dandelion, but I would have no idea where to look anyhow! That would be amazingly helpful, should mine carry them or be willing to.

Thanks for the welcome and, again, all of the information!

10. SpindleHead

SpindleHead Elite Member

Perhaps it was a fluke but I found them in the fresh vegetable section with the other greens, In bunches like collards, etc. I have never used canned greens for them, always fresh. My beardie won't eat collard greens so the dandelion greens were a life saver in that case.

I am not an Iguana owner so I don't have much in the way of advice for you but it looks like there are plenty of owners here with no shortage of info. You came to the right place!

Take care,

11. riqui1

riqui1 Active Member

When all else fails...

I guess that I'll have to find someone in produce the next time I am there and see what they can do for me. I'll demand a manager! :D I looked everywhere in the fresh section again last night, as I cannot stand the smell of the canned stuff! Of course, being that the canned stuff is good and wet (and the vet that I spoke to was a bit concerned of dehydration), it may be better to use for right now - if I can get him to eat it (maybe he can't stand the smell either)! I have made the salad again this morning and put the dandelion under it and on top of it. We'll see just how good he is - if he can eat the dandelion without getting any of the other stuff! Thanks for the tip on Walmart. I imagine that if you can get them, I should be able to, as I don't think that you are in a warmer climate or anything! :)

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I am in Oklahoma and the idea of stores selling dandelions around here would make people laugh. Here they are viewed as something to put weed killer on,... not something to eat!
    However there is no lack of the collards mustard and turnip greens.
    The fresh would be much preferable to the canned since processed canned food usually have other ingredients added. You could try frozen but agin the fresh is preferable.
    Try looking for those greens in areas where there are large black or portugese populations as these greens are a part of their ethnic cooking.

13. SpindleHead

SpindleHead Elite Member

I would be surprised if your iggy ate canned greens. As far as dehydration goes you can always mist the salad you give him, that should help to hydrate him. I always mist my beardies salads and along with light misting and 3 x weekly baths he seems to be hydrated well. Might give that a try.

Take care,

14. riqui1

riqui1 Active Member

That's a good idea!

Misting the salad will definitely be on the list for the next attempt. He doesn't seem to be eating the salad this time either. He has pulled leaves off of the top, so he is eating at least. I will make it this afternoon without the canned stuff and see how that works! Of course, I see him drinking once a day it seems, so why would he be dehydrated? Wouldn't the fact that he is drinking take care of that on its own?

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Iguanas are used to getting most of the moisture they need from the food. Most will not even drink from a bowl.
    The only time mine will take water (from a spray bottle) is when she is dehydrated from not eating when she is gravid.

16. riqui1

riqui1 Active Member

Ah ha

So the fact that he drinks is more of a negative sign than a good one? I never would have thought of that. I guess that makes sense...and with him not eating too well right now, that isn't helping! Ugh! That makes getting him to eat more just that much more important! What a turd he is!

17. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Yeah definitely look for the fresh stuff, my boyfriend tried to feed the canned stuff to his iguana and he looked at him like "you've got to be kidding me!" Some organic health stores carry dandelions or other fresh greens. it just takes some searching to find the right stuff. I pay twice as much as everyone else probably due to my location.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.