This Disappears When Logged In

Hello from Holland!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by apartje, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CMKoehler

CMKoehler Elite Member

Did you remove a post written in another language?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes, I did.

3. Lyn'sSteve

Lyn'sSteve Elite Member

Hello Brenda,

Welcome to Herp Center. You have some nice looking snakes! Hope you enjoy the site.

4. apartje

apartje Member

Wo, Merlin, what's that about? It was a joke, somebody asked "wie geht's" this means "How are you" in English. Than i answered that that was German, and not Dutch.
    The Dutch words for "How are you" are "Hoe gaat het".

Hahaha, we are not planning a bomb attack or something. Chill man! If these few words are not allowed i am afraid i don't like this forum....

5. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

Merlin, could you please explain the rule for restricting posting to English language only? I hope that if you do so, apartje will feel more welcome.

Apartje, you are very welcome here, this really is a very friendly site. I think the rule about posting in English is actually intended to make the site more friendly, not less, the idea being that if we all post in a common language, no one will feel excluded from conversations. In addition, since the site owner and moderators don't speak all languages, it helps ensure that the site is always family-friendly -- Rich, Merlin, and the others who so generously donate their time to make this site so wonderful want to be sure there is no offensive language that is inappropriate for kids, in any language.

Merlin, if I have the reasoning wrong, I hope you will correct me.

Apartje, I didn't get to see the pictures of your snakes; I hope you will reconsider posting them here. Welcome!

6. Merlin

Amy you have it exactly correct. When people start having conversations in other languages, nobody else can follow it.
    And thats rude. If you wish to converse with each other in other languages you can use the private message system.
    Since the staff are english speaking we would have no way of knowing what is being posted. For all we know you are cussing each other out and making insulting remarks. Something that is not tolerated on this site.
    You agreed to this rule in the terms of service when you joined.
    Nobody is picking on you. Any foreign language posting gets removed.

7. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

Thanks, Merlin. It's a rule I didn't notice when I signed up, and I know I violated it once and was confused. Knowing the reason made all the difference for me. (I have "issues" with rules sometimes, lol!)

8. Merlin

Amy I admit I am an old flowerchild right out of the 60's!
    Unreasonable/unjust rules make me crazy!
    Thats why I always make a point to explain WHY something is a rule.
    I will never use the "because thats just the way it is!" answer.
    I know how I would react to such a reply.

9. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

LOL, Merlin, I was born in the 60's (barely), but I generally object to rules on principle. Then, if it turns out the rule makes sense, I relent and go along. Object first, ask questions later, that's my system. Ironically, I think my mom *taught* me to object to rules. She was a tad too old to be a flower child, and I think she was a little sad to have missed all the fun.

10. apartje

apartje Member

it wasn't a conversation, and i explained what it meant.

merlin, you say you alway explain why it is a rule, in this case you did not.
    your reaction by deleting the words in another language was a bit hysterical, you could have just said:" please do not use words from another language, this might confuse other members"

i think you take your task as a moderator a bit to serious...

but it is okay, if that's the way things go around here, it is better to know it right away. I came here to share experiences and find out a little more about my Philothamnus. The information on this forum is very minimal, for that reason i don't need to stay.

now it apears that the atmosphere is not what attracts me i wish you the best and say goodbye.

Toedels! (that's Dutch for cheerio, lol!)

11. Merlin

Two posts responding to each other in another language is in fact a conversation. And you explained what it meant, but only after the fact that it was removed.
    While I wasn't really worried about the content of those particular posts. If we start allowing them then everybody starts posting in different languages. And who knows what they are saying to people.

Not at all. I simply enforced the terms of service that you agreed to when you joined in. While I realize that many people don't even read them except to find out if it will cost them anything, there are rules, granted not many, but the few that we have are enforced.

I take it VERY seriously, as do the rest of our staff. When we created this site we put our heads together and decided what it was about other sites that were problems and resulted in an atmosphere rife with hostility and hatefulness. We do our best to keep this place as friendly and helpful as we can. And our growth rate shows that a lot of people find what we are doing to be a breath of fresh air.
    I am sorry that you feel that way. The fact that you have an animal that is not very common and does not have much information available is not our fault. We tried to give you as much info as we could find.

Again I am sorry that you feel that way. This site is the friendliest herp site on the web, and with good reason. We will not allow it to be any other way.
    If you want a forum where you can do anything that you want to without any rules or controls than perhaps this isn't the place for you.
    You are more than welcome to stay or go as you wish and we wish you well.

12. apartje

apartje Member

I am posting on many forums on the web, i subitted to a couple of others and found one that i really feel at home.

I have 2 Dutch forums that i post on regularly and they rule!

I did not mean there is little info about the philo alone, i meant the snake section, others i did not look.

Furtheron i am very happy for you that you all have such a good time here, and wish you well and succes with the hobby.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.