This Disappears When Logged In

Hello from Holland!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by apartje, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apartje

apartje Member

Hello Everybody,

My name is Brenda and I live in Holland. I am a 26 year old female. For a living I work in a small zoo. As a hobby I keep all kinds of animals. I have short tailed opossums, different kinds of exotic mice, fancy mice, cats, dogs and off course some snakes.

The snakes I have are 1.1 taeniura frisei, 1.0 helena coelognathus and 0.1 Philothamnus macrops. I am desperatly looking for information about Philothamnus macrops.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Welcome to the board. I'm not a snake person, but I'm sure someone can help.

3. vegasandbecca

vegasandbecca Elite Member

Welcome!!!

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to HC! It's not everday that we see those Latin names, so I had to look up the Philothamnus macrops to find out its common name.

Apparently the Philothamnus macrops is the Usumbara Green Snake.

From what I was able to locate on them, they primarily feed on lizards and frogs. (Not toads.) They will also take fish from some of the reading I have come across.

Those keeping them in captivity have also had success with scenting small rodents with various frog and lizard scents.

What have you been feeding them? Can you get anoles or house geckos readily? Perhaps some small, non-poisounous frog species?

5. apartje

apartje Member

I havent' fed her yet, she is here for only a week. Thank you for your information, that is the same info as i got. it seems that this Philothamnus is one of the easier ones to convert.

I will try mice first and perhaps scent them with lizards or frogs.

Maybe i can get some frog eggs from the pond.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to HerpCenter!
    I am unfamiliar with those species.
    Can you post some pictures of yours?

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to Herp Center, glad to have you join us. I have yet to visit Holland, the place of my ancestors.

8. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Welcome to HC. I too would like to see some pics.

9. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Welcome to Herp Center....hope all goes well with your snake....enjoy it here!

10. Hedge

Hedge Elite Member

Welcome

11. apartje

apartje Member

I took away the pics, i don't feel very welcome here.

If you want to see pics of my animals, please visit my website OpenDNS it is in Dutch, i am sorry, but the pics say everything.

12. stano40

stano40 Elite Member

Hoi apartje,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm bob, from the USA. I've been to Amsterdam once when I was in the Navy. Beautiful City and I loved walking around there.

Great photo's thanks for posting them.

13. venus

venus Founding Member

Welcome to Herpcenter.

14. Merlin

Great shots and beautiful snakes.
    The Helena coelognathus is called a trinket snake.

15. RedLocks

RedLocks Elite Member

I could not get the link to work, but the pictures you posted are lovely! Thanks for sharing, and welcome!

16. apartje

apartje Member

Thank you, i found out that my website is not working at the moment, i think it will work again tomorrow...

17. CMKoehler

CMKoehler Elite Member

Beautiful snakes! I am from Germany, was stationed in Budel when I was in the Air Force. Welcome!

Christoph

18. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Yeah I was thinking there was a bit of a difference between the languages, but couldn't remember. I was in Germany for 3 weeks about 12 years ago and we spent about 12 hours of that in Holland. I must admit that my memory of German has been slowly drifting away from me.

19. Merlin

Posting in languages other than english is not allowed.

20. CMKoehler

CMKoehler Elite Member

I always thought dutch was a mix between english and german. I can read it and understand most of it if I read it out loud, so I have to hear it to know what it means :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.