This Disappears When Logged In

Hello again all.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by David McConley, Jan 11, 2015.

1. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Hi everyone!

It has been a few months since I have posted here. I thought I might catch everyone up on what has been going on.

About a year and a half ago, my wife lost her contract job with the Government. She is a Nurse Case Manager and was working with the Wounded Warriors (truly a worthwhile endeavor). Anyway her contract ended and she was forces to find another much lower paying position elsewhere. We tried to make ends meet, but we were just not able. We lost our house about 3 months ago and had to move. We were not able
    to afford food or care for the snakes and we also dis not have room in the smaller home we had to rent. I will say, we moved to a pet friendly place and the land lord was totally cool with me having the snakes, but we just could not swing them budget wise. I was forced to make the most difficult decision I have made in quite a while...I had to get rid of my babies! I just could not bear to face all my friends on here and tell them the news before now. I may be back from time to time, but unless something comes up in the very near future, I am going to be snake-less for a long while. You all have been awesome friends and I will always remember Rich and Merlin and Dragoness and all you others out there who are too numerous to name. Thank you for the great times and advice. Rich, you still have the absolute best Reptile Forum on the Web. Thank you!

David McConley

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi David, I`m truly very sorry to hear about your misfortunes, I hope this new year brings better things for you and the family. You`re a good person David, no doubt about that.
    Please DO keep visiting even if you haven`t any new animals, your advise is still needed...
    When things do pick up and you can get more snakes don`t forget the pics of the bites you get now and again on a regular basis....
    Take care my friend! ;)

David McConley likes this.
  3. David McConley

Don't sweat it Stefan! I told the land lord I do snake removal and rescue as well as rehab, so I am sure there will be bite pics in May or June. MY wife has also applied to another Case Management position with the Government (a permanent one this time), and I have heard of one opening up for me that is 2 to 2.5 times the pay and has Goverment benefits. If we get our jobs, things will DEFINITELY get better and there will be snakes in my life again! Thank you for the pep talk...I really needed it. You are one of the true friends I was talking about.

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Wow man, I am really sorry to hear about your misfortune. You never get more than you can handle, so this is just another speed bump in the game of life. Were you able to find good homes for everyone? I hope some of them were local enough that you can stay in touch with the new owners and possibly see your babies from time to time.

You don't need to own reptiles to be an active members of the site David. Your knowledge should be shared to assist others. (Helping others is sometimes the best way to help ourselves mentally.) Don't feel as if you shouldn't be here because of your current situation.

I wish you the best of luck man! Feel free to stop in and educate. ;)

5. David McConley

Thanks Rich.

I appreciate the fact that I don't need reptiles to belong...it is just that for the first month or so, I was too upset to come on here. I have finally gotten to the point where I can talk without feeling as though I failed my snakes somehow. Like most people on here, I feel that if you get an animal that animal is your responsibility for the life of that animal. Having to give them up was almost too much for me to take. I have just started even thinking about getting snakes again. In fact, I told my wife that I would never get another because of what had to happen. I feel as though I gave them the best home that I could but I can not face seeing them again even if they do not remember me or what happened. I appreciate everyone's kind words and look forward to talking to everyone soon.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

David I am sorry to hear about this. I understand how such things can turn your life upside down.
    But take it from me, YOU, (Nor your lady), did not fail anyone and have nothing to feel guilty about. Sometimes things in life just reach up and slap you. It's what you do from that point on which defines you.
    Please don't feel that you cannot come here because of the current circumstance. Your experience and presence are ALWAYS welcome! And when things take that upswing, which they will, we will be here to cheer you on!

7. David McConley

Thank you Merlin. It is the caliber of members on this forum that keep me coming back. Tough times do make stronger people and I am happy to say I AM coming out on top. You all are awesome and I am proud to know each one of you. A man is known by the company he keeps...I guess I am one of
    the the highest class men around because you are all top notch. I don't say th Ings like this often but I love this forum and I love its people!!!

Thank you for the uplifting comments. :)

Merlin likes this.
  8. David McConley

Should read things...not th Ings.

9. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Rough patch for sure David. But like Rich said you and your knowledge is most welcome around here.

10. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Sorry to hear about the hard times, David. You haven't failed anyone. Your animals have good homes, and that is all you can ask for.
    Things will look up, friend. We are here for you! Please don't feel unwelcome just because you don't have any herps. Your knowledge and experience are needed and appreciated.

11. David McConley

Thank you everyone. You guys are really the best. I posted here Sunday morning feeling like I was at my lowest. Before lunch I was feeling so much better. My former animals are in a good home and I believe the new owner will continue my work in educating the public. He is a very bright and hard working young man who enjoys looking at things from all possible angles so I think he was a good candidate
    for caring for my beloved animals.

If things do change and I get more snakes, I want to concentrate on the dream morphs of boas and balls (mainly the white morphs and pieds for the ball and the white snakes and maybe other types of boas). I love all snakes, but if I am going to get more--I want what I am interested in getting. Kriminaal and mshrmheadcharge...thank you. You really know how to make someone feel better.

David

mshrmheadcharge likes this.
  12. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I'm glad you're feeling better, and I'm glad we could help. You're a great guy, we are lucky to have you around.
    As for your dream snakes, they sound perfect. I love pieds, they are beautiful.

13. lizardhoarder139

lizardhoarder139 Elite Member

David, I haven't been on this forum very long but you sound like a great guy and things will start looking up for you don't worry :) you didn't fail your snakes. I can kinda understand that feeling, when one of my herps gets sick I feel like I failed them and wasn't doing everything I could to avoid this. But then you have to tell yourself, this stuff happens. Even when you do every possible thing to make sure they are fed, hydrated, have the right temps, humidity, ect...
    Like what was already said, it's what you do with it that makes you a good person.
    You will get back on track and have snakes again :) your ideas sound great. And don't be leaving us I might need your advise!!! Lol