This Disappears When Logged In

Helix DBS 1000 Help!

Discussion in 'Heating' started by Figure8, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Figure8

Figure8 Member

I just got a helix 1000 for my RTB cage, and ive never used one before. I set the temp I want, but it always goes about 10 degrees over the set temp. Is this normal or shouldnt it stay close to where I set it...

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If you have everything set correctly and the air being monitored by your digital thermometer and the helix at the exact same location, then yes, they should be within 1 degree of one another. If you aren't measuring the exact same spot though you may see temp fluctuations.

3. Figure8

Figure8 Member

I should have been more clear, I'm using it for keeping the heat tape at the right temp, not the overall cage temps. I was told by the previous owner to keep it around 95 degrees, but if I have it set at 95 after an hour or more its 115+. The sensor is right under the tape. Any help would be much appreciated, I've never used heat tape or a helix before.

4. Rich

How are you measuring the temps? Are you measuring the temp inside the tub where the heat is located or are you measuring directly beside the Helix probe?

5. Figure8

Figure8 Member

I'm going off what the helix says the temp is on the unit...I set the thermostat to 95 but its always saying it well above that...by as much as 25 degrees

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

If you place your digital thermometers probe and the Helix probe beside eachother, the thermometer probe will let you know what temp it is then set the helix at the temp you want. It may take a bit of time.

7. Rich

I use the Spyder Robotics Herpstat and simply place my probe in an empty tub used for regulating temps. I have it sitting over the heat source. I also have a digital thermometers probe beside the Herpstats probe and I place the thermometer itself in the front of the tub so I can get a reading there as well. My temps are typically within 1 degree.

8. Figure8

Figure8 Member

Thanks for the replys, I guess I'm still a little confused. The main thing I wanna know is why if I set my thermostat on the helix to 95, why does it show that it lets it get to 120? I'm only talking about the heat tape, not the tank temp or any other thermometers

9. Rich

What do you mean it shows it lets it get to 120? If you are putting the probe directly on or under the heat tape you are measuring the temp wrong and that is likely why your readings are screwy. You need to be measuring the temp of the box to ensure it is accurate and staying consistent. Stop measuring the tape and start measuring the enclosure since that is what is important. if that is fluctuating as bad as the tape then you might have a problem.

10. Figure8

Figure8 Member

Isn't the point of the helix to control the heat tape? I've never used heat tape before, I'm just following the directions from the previous owner of the snake. He said to put the sensor under the tape to keep the tape at the correct temp and to make sure it doesn't overheat. I have other thermometers to keep the temp of the entire cage correct.

11. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

12. Rich

If you are putting the probe under the heat tape you are measuring the heat tape as it warms as well as the trapped heat under the tape with the probe. There is no way you will get accurate readings. Measure the inside of the box since you are trying to reach certain temperatures. If the inside of the box is reading 60 and the heat tape is reading 100 degrees, which is more important? The thermostat is designed to keep your enclosure at certain temps. It will regulate the electricity to the heat tape to help maintain those temps.