This Disappears When Logged In

Heating Wooden Enclosure

Discussion in 'Heating' started by SammieLee, Jul 25, 2013.

1. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

We are building 4' by 2' by 2' for our bearded dragons.....for them I am planning on hanging lights from the top. My problem is with the snake enclosures we want to build.....we are looking in to getting 2 ball pythons. I'm thinking 4' by 2' by 2' (maybe shorter we will see). But it seems like belly heat is better for snakes. How do I do this? I want to make sure it is safe. I'm thinking plywood stained and sealed. So how would it be safe to heat it? UTH or heat tape....on the inside??

2. Releep

Releep Elite Member

I have heat tape on the inside of my wooden cage but I also have lots of experience making electrical connections liquid tight for use under water.

3. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

What about making a floor raised off the bottom a little and put the heat tape or heat mat under it? What would I have to use so enough heat could get through??

4. jarich

jarich Elite Member

I would go for a radiant heat panel instead. All around a safer option and it gets mounted to the top

5. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

Where can I find those??

6. jarich

jarich Elite Member

online is your best source, or at reptile expos. I like the reptile basics ones as they dont have the lip at the bottom like many of the other brands do. However, there are lots of different brands.

RBI Radiant Heat Panels

7. norwegn113

norwegn113 Well-Known Member

a Radiant heat panel is the way to go for sure. It is a bit more money for the initial set up but once you buy it your good to go. no bulbs to replace no maintenance just plug it into a thermostat and forget about it!. However if that is not an option, then cut an opening in the bottom of the tank and silicone a ceramic tile into the floor. stick the UTH to the tile on the OUTSIDE of the tank and the heat will transfer through the tile no problem. Same concept as glass and its water proof once siliconed.

8. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

I might have to put off getting the snakes until I can afford those heat panels....what kind of thermostat works best with those? Also what watt would I need to get?