This Disappears When Logged In

Heating the WHOLE room- HELP

Discussion in 'Heating' started by okreptilerescue, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. okreptilerescue

okreptilerescue Elite Member

well, this is our first year in our new house-- and we've had more problems than you can imagine.
    At the old place, we were insulated, and heated- and wonderful...

This place is better insulated, but very poorly heated!

we have double insulated garage doors, insulation and sheetrock on the walls- weather stripping on the side door, and plastic over the windows.

I am lacking one heater because there isn't a place to plug one into--- we are on fuses- not breakers- and the fuses can't handle another heater.....

are there any other things we can do RIGHT NOW to get the reptile room warmer. (reptile room was formerly the garage- but has been converted- with what we thought were good improvements)... we never had these problems at the old place.... its annoying!!

in about 2-3 weeks we'll have the $ to move the central h/a vents to that room (2 of them actually)-- and then we will be fine, but the next 2 weeks will be very cold.
    We're maintaining temps of about 58 at nite but only getting up to about 75 during the warmest part of the day... hot spots are warmer- about 80... just not warm enough...

thanks
    Beth

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Re: Heating the WHOLE room- HELP!

What type of heating are you using on the enclosures ? Those are the temps you need to be concerned with.

3. okreptilerescue

Its the ambient temps i'm having a hard time with.

All of our cages were built for the old house- where the room stayed at 84 degrees- year round- no matter the outside temp.

Many of them are very open- because we had the old place sealed up with moisture barier plastic- and had humidifiers running- it was perfect- perfect ambient temps and we placed the different species of snakes/lizards near or away from the humidifiers according to thier needs- it really was PERFECT!

we're using ceramic heat emitters, regular light bulbs, some have under tank heaters, some have flexwatt-- they're all different...
    The cages were built at different times, depending on the supplies we had available at the time- so they're all different.

I'm trying to get the temp in the entire room up to 84 again- i loved the old house- we had the same cages in a different garage- and had no problems- but we installed central h/a over there- and we just haven't had the 700-1,000$ to do it here yet.

We moved in during august and just weren't ready for the cold yet- and now we're scrambling....

its so frustrating! we still aren't settled in and now we've started this huge kitchen remodel and its just a mess!!

is there any heat conserving ideas you have?

4. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Can you possibly run an extension cord to that room and use a space heater ?

5. okreptilerescue

lmao- done that- there are 3 running right now.

Its just not enough-
    I think we're going to buy a gas heater tomarrow and just hook that up to the gas line- and see if that works any better.
    I've got a tarp hanging inside the house with the door open so the heat thats in the house will go out there...

anyway- i think we've figured it out.

Thanks

6. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

I live in an old house too. Very cold sometimes.

Seal up everything as much as you can. Cracks in the wall, doors, the space where the walls and floor meet... Just make extra sure the are sealed as tightly as you can get them.

Move the cages away from the walls, where it's coldest, and try putting something between them and the walls, if possible. You can also cover all the windows with thick curtains. Or you could cover open sides of the cage with some plexiglass or plastic of some kind.

Honestly, though, two weeks of low ambient temperatures aren't going to hurt them as they still have heat. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

7. zaroba

zaroba Elite Member

keeping the windows covered is good at nights, but not so much at days.
    during the days, if you open the blinds on the windows that are facing the sun then sunlight will come in the room and heat it up.

but if the windows are drafty nevermind.

8. okreptilerescue

the windows arent drafty anymore- we've got weather stripping on the openings and sealed the cracks around the stationary glass with silcone.

i just went out and opened the sunny window curtain- its a lot brighter out there for sure.

i've gotten a lot of laundry done recently- a washer and dryer really heat the place up nice!!

problem is, now i'm down to washing pillows... but thats at least another 4 loads...

i just worry about them being so cold for a few weeks- right after they were colder for 2 weeks, due to the ice storm and no electric....

its just been a cold winter here for everyone and i'm terrified of URI's....

thanks guys- and i wasn't able to find a gas heater that would work out there... so i'm still looking...

beth

9. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

i know there are kerosene heaters you can use, just be sure its for indoor use. I'm not sure on the fumes.

10. zaroba

zaroba Elite Member

most high end computers are pretty effective space heaters :p. so depending on how high end your pc is and how much you have it running, it might put out a lot of heat. could try moving it to the reptile room. might not be to convenient, but it might work.

I live in a modular home and they aren't well known for having good insulation, but with my computer running 24/7 my room is always around 80F. when i have it off my room will drop to 70F overnight. a few weeks ago i had it off for a few days and my room dropped to the lower 60s.

11. The JD

The JD Elite Member

12. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Take it from me, they really work! It can cut your gas bill dramatically. They can be really loud, though.

13. rick1iam

rick1iam Subscribed User Premium Member

I own a store and deal with many heating products. My son is a HVAC guy but among other things I sell..well some heating products. One is SOLAR COMFORT By Sun Cloud, Inc not meant to be a shameless plug but they work well in many situations. Not all but I would be glad to tell you what I know.

14. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

at $650 a piece it seems it would be smarter to save that money for the HVAC, Radient panels may help, i started looking into them after they were suggested to me, they usualy start at about $50 a piece, they can get pricey though, and they really are more long term, im tempted to switch all my tanks to radient heat though, too bad its so much upfront.

15. The JD

The JD Elite Member

It has four 375 watt light bulbs, I'm thinking there's still a risk of blowing fuses there.

16. rick1iam

Yes fuses can be blown if your circuit is not up to par/code and you plug multiple 12 amp appliances into the same circuit. It pulls the same as a hair dryer, vacuum and many other even smaller devices. It will take 3 or 4 1000 watt electric base board units to heat the same space as these will using 1500 watts. It was just a suggestion. BTW we sell them as do many others for $499 & $429 w/out cabinet.

Again please don't take it as a shameless plug. Just a suggestion. An alternative to a problem posted. It's an officiant electric heater.

If you need to heat an entire room it's it's gonna take some energy to do it.

17. cliff_f

cliff_f Member

I have never had a problem heating my room. All the lights in my reptile room keeps the temps up. But I bet one of those radient heating pannels would work good.

18. rick1iam

I think the brand I mentioned is more efficient but if you really want to buy one buy it locally & assembled if possible not on ebay etc. They moved production and have some serious bugs in them to be worked out. As far as radiant panels these would be the way to go Best Energy Efficient Space Heater, Electric Wall And Baseboard Heaters. but they ran into U.L. red tape issues this year.

19. MRHickey

MRHickey Elite Member

This might sound stupid, but are you allowing sunlight in, you would be surprised how much heat you can get from a well lit room even in freezing cold. Put dark towels over your cages so that they get direct sunlight and they should in theory heat up. You could also try using hot water humidifiers, when I took Ira to visit my mom her house is set at 65 and we needed to move to a hot water humidifier in the room, it upped the temp immensely. The other trick is to put a fan in the room. It sounds stupid also, but moving air naturally produces heat, it feels cool initially, but if you point it at a wall it will disperse and not like it is there, but the acceleration of the air will warm up the room at least a few degrees, and a box fan draws very little electricity and they are cheap. I could do all the physics for you, but that gets REALLY boring. I used to use a fan to blow the heater across a wall so that it was accelerating already hot air and it radiated off the wall.

Another Idea is to paint outside facing walls with some kind of polyurethane that is water tight, it will ensure that there is no air drafts. Unfortunately insulating garages is not a huge priority in building houses because it is not required to meet code in most places, so unless you built it, it may not be as well insulated as it seems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.