This Disappears When Logged In

Heating Question

Discussion in 'Heating' started by justor, Sep 19, 2011.

1. justor

justor Elite Member

With my new iguana enclosure built I have been fooling around with the lights to see what kind of temps I can get. Right now I'm using a 125W MVB and a 24" UVB tube. The basking spot is leveling out at about 100 degrees. On the other side of the enclosure about 5 inches higher is another shelf that gets about 89-92(this is under the flourescent tube), and temps gradually decrease as you go lower in the enclosure reaching a minimum of about 82 at the bottom.

Is this basking spot too hot, or will it be okay? I've always understood 95 to be the best basking temperature, but after doing some additional internet searching I'm seeing various care guides suggest maximums of 98 or even one which says up to 110 is okay which doesn't sound right to me...

As you go even a few inches away from the direct center of the bulb the temps drop a few degrees so I feel like the hottest spot being 100 isn't too bad, but I do want to make sure it isn't dangerous. I would really like to keep using this MVB so he can get some UVB rays while he basks, but I can downgrade to a 100W basking bulb if it's too much heat for him.

Opinions?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Can you post a picture of the cage?
    I would say if the 100 degrees is just a very small area and there is plenty of room for the iguana to move away from it, you should be ok. The main concern is that with your heat and UVB is being delivered by the same bulb, if its too hot for him he will not be basking very much and will not be getting the UVB.

3. justor

justor Elite Member

I will hopefully be able to post a picture soon... my camera battery died and I can't find the charger. I'll try to describe the setup as best I can without a visual aid: It is 4' x 2' and 6' tall with four corner shelves in a zig-zag pattern going down. Top shelf is 13 inches from the top, second is 18 inches and the others are about a foot and a half apart. Above the 18 inch shelf is the basking bulb, and above the 13 inch shelf is the UVB tube (mounted inside the enclosure so it's about 9 inches or so from the shelf). I figure if he gets too hot while basking he is more likely to go up to this higher platform where it's a little cooler than down to a lower level. So basically as long as he's in the top portion of the enclosure - either on one of the shelves or the branches connecting them - he's pretty much always getting at least a little UVB. In the cage he's been in up until now he's spent upwards of 90% of his time at the highest parts of the cage so I feel like he'll be under the UVB tube quite often.

4. justor

justor Elite Member