This Disappears When Logged In

Heating Problems

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by BCIBoa, Nov 4, 2014.

1. BCIBoa

BCIBoa Member

I have a bci boa in a showcase cage and recently he stopped eating. I checked his temperatures and his hot side was at 80F. I usually use a 150w light bulb but I guess I got a bad one. I bought a 150w CHE and his temperature on the hot side is 89.6F. Id like to get it a little hotter than that so its between the 90-95 range so he has a good basking spot. My current dome fixture is only rated to 150w, so I thought I would get one of the zoo med dual dome fixtures which can support 100w per socket. My question is, am I right assuming that 2 100w light bulbs would provide the same heat as one 200w light bulb? Its a stupid question but I am over thinking this. Thanks

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I can't answer much about your bulb question, but I can strongly recommend a radiant heat panel. I have 2, and love them. When run on a thermostat, they maintain perfect temps, and use 100 watts or less in the sizes you are likely to need.

Domes tend to let a LOT of heat escape upwards and outwards, resulting in less heat staying in the cage.

Another option to look into would be a mega ray heat projector. I have not personally used them, but have heard great things.

3. BCIBoa

BCIBoa Member

I was looking at the radiant heat panels but I don't know how id run the thermostat since my snake always moves around the probes.

4. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Not sure how the inside is on the showcase cages, but I'd think you could run the probe right in the same hole as the cord for the heat panel, and just wedge the probe between the edge of the panel and the cage wall, with no slack in the probe cord so your boa can't move it around. You don't need to put the probe on his basking spot, just check those temps with a temp gun or thermometer and set your t-stat to whatever you need to to get the 95 you're shooting for on the ground where he basks.

As for the bulbs, yes 2x100 should give you a heat boost over 1 150W bulb. You'll also have a bigger basking spot with 2 bulbs vs. one hotter one.

What are you doing for night heat, what are his overnight temps like?

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Probes are pretty easy to clip or tape into place in such a fashion the snake can't move them.

They don't have to be ON the basking spot, but I would recommend placing it as close as you can. For instance, on the wall near the basking spot.

6. BCIBoa

BCIBoa Member

I have never done anything special for overnight temps and never had a problem. But i have been having problems with light bulbs being inconsistent so i switched over to a che but its only giving me a 89f hot spot. So i thought id add two bulbs since the would fit if i used the cage dome fixtures. Or im going to look into doing a radiant heat panel set up.

7. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

I would go with the RHP. They're a little pricey up front but they last a lot longer than bulbs, and balanced against buying a new fixture the cost gap closes a little more. I'm going to put them in all my enclosures, as soon as I figure out how I'm going to mount them in my Vision cages.

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'm assuming most RHP units mount the same. The ones I ordered came with mounting hardware. All you should need to do for a vision cage is drill 2 holes in the ceiling.

Thinking further on it, that may hinder the inherent "stackability" of most vision cages. You may have to customize the mounting, if you want to stack your Vision cages.Perhaps reversing the screw, so the flush part is on top, and shortening it so you only have a bolt on the bottom (inside of cage). They come with one set of screws, but you can easily get something more appropriate for your use at any hardware store.

9. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I have screwed a piece of wood to the inside of a vision cage by going into it from the outside, then used the wood as a mounting point for other hardware. Doesn't interfere with stacking that way.

10. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing. The ribbing (the one in the middle in particular) keeps it from sitting flat. I'm really trying to plan ahead and have all my setups up and running before getting any herps. I used to have an issue with impulse buys...