This Disappears When Logged In

Heating Pads for Humans

Discussion in 'Heating' started by Electrophile, Apr 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Electrophile

Electrophile Elite Member

For my rainbow boa, I sprung for one of the $35 under the tank heaters made especially for this sort of task because the human heating pad I initially bought at Wal-Mart (I think it was Sunbeam brand or something) seemed to be fine, except it had an hour auto shutoff feature. Are they all like that for safety reasons? I'm looking to get a corn snake or two and spending another $35 is kinda ouchie on my wallet.

2. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

I'm still too paranoid to try using the human type heating pads because I can't get past the fact that they aren't designed to be on all the time. Plus when my husband was going to buy one for his arthritis pain, the instructions said not to put any weight on it. If that's the case, then how could he use it on his back or hip? :confused: That's why I'm afraid to put the weight of a 20 or 30 gallon tank on top of one.

I know of at least one person here though who has used them for years without any problem at all. If I could just get over my paranoia about possible fire hazards, I'd be thrilled because they seem to me to be an ideal heating solution. :)

3. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

I have mine on a timer like the lights.

4. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I've never actually used UTHs before, I stick with heat pads. They work great for me, been using them for years with no problems yet. Yeah, they're not actually designed for it, but they still work good. Some of mine are set on timers, but the ones for my Ts and basilisk are on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Had the same ones for my Ts for at least 2 years now, no prob. I've never seen one with an auto shut-off feature, so I guess its just that brand.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Mine are human type. They have no auto shut off and run 24/7. Have been for years. They are "Kaz" brand. Got them at Walmart.
    Just a note. I have been hearing for years people say that they are a fire hazard. I have yet to talk to anyone that has had one cause a problem or even personally knows of anyone that has. That seems to be just one of those stories that everyone has heard but no one knows who it was.
    Sort of like Bigfoot sightings.

6. IggieZ.

IggieZ. Elite Member

I'm with Merlin there, I have two Iggie uses & they are pretty much on 20-24 hrs /7 days. I havent had any problems with them either.

The only difference is that its not under a tank, I have a "Velux" banket covering them since Iggie lays on or under it. I got mine at a Rite Aid Drug Store (where I work). They also are"Kaz" brand. Cost $18-25 where I live.

7. esbat

esbat Reptile Rescue Premium Member

I used one once and it cracked the tank, I don't know how old it was though. I'm playing it safe and sticking with the UTH's designed for this.

8. Electrophile

Electrophile Elite Member

True, and a guy who raises the snake at our local pet shop makes the claim that they get too hot, though my substrate doesn't conduct heat super efficiently, especially through the plastic sweaterbox, so I am not too concerned since the substrate temp is in the low 80s like it should be. I saw the same thing on my human heat pad when I bought it, so I propped some boards underneath the cool side of the sweaterbox so the cage wouldn't be sitting directly on it.

9. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I think they have a fire-hazard warning on the pads that say not to leave them on, but that's pretty much so nobody sues them in case something like that actually did happen. It doesn't mean it will happen or that its a common danger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.