This Disappears When Logged In

Heating Pad Help Please

Discussion in 'Heating' started by BigGucciSosa, Nov 13, 2012.

1. BigGucciSosa

BigGucciSosa Member

Considering getting a snake soon and was wondering what kind of heating pads other people use. I live in northern jersey so it can get kind of cold during the winter. I was looking at ZooMed heat pads, but read that they only increase tank temperature by about 5 degrees so im kind of skeptical.. Any ideas?

2. king1239

king1239 Elite Member

thats the Ambient temp the heat pad itself underneath a hide will be great! do 2 hide boxes though

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

How cool is the temperature in the room the tank will be in?

4. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

I use the ExoTerra ones myself, and need to have them on dimmers as it can raise the floor temp well over 100F. Whatever you decide, make sure you have them on thermostats or dimmers - there have been instances of heat pads of certain brands malfunctioning and overheating.

5. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I used zoo med and mine overheated. I use red heat lights currently.

6. BigGucciSosa

BigGucciSosa Member

Yea ive done a decent amount of research and will have a hide for the hot side and cooler side. The temperature of my house is usually around 65-70 id have to say, but the tank will be in the basement which would have to be about 5 degrees cooler if i had to guess. And is it necessary to have a heat lamp also? I heard snakes only need a heat pad

7. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

I would only use a heat lamp if you can't maintain the proper ambient temps or temp gradient. However, you could use a ceramic heat emitter instead to increase your temps.

8. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Hey, i raise snakes in the same region you are in with the same temps. Ambient temps in my apt were at 55-57 last week. I use the zoomed heat pads on a rhetosthat and put an oversized large hide over it with a smaller tighter box inside. Thr oversized hide traps the heat in for the snake and is necessary for me, but i stuff a smaller hide in because snakes need tight fitted hides. In addition i run heat lamps over head to create basking areas and to try to warm the ground. In my home-made enclosures i route heat tape into the wood frame. In some of my enclosures i need to use ceramic bulbs. To be perfectly honest, if you are planning on using glass i would wait a bit and try to create a custom enclosure. Glass is almost impossible to correctly heat with ambient temps in the low 60s. When you do achieve your desired temps with glass you ussually are sacrificing humidity and will have to resort to constant misting which is not healthy for your snake. (Constant spikes and falls in humidity are no good). What kind of snake are you looking at?

9. BigGucciSosa

BigGucciSosa Member

Thanks for all the info everyone. And im looking at either a corn or ball python.

10. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Cool. I keep both this way. If you go ball python, I would suggest getting the biggest clay flower pot you can fit in your enclosure and put that over the heat pad. That will help trap the heat a little. You need to be very careful with ball pythons in regards to humidity, they will dry out and acrue shedding problems alot easier than corn snakes will.

11. BigGucciSosa

BigGucciSosa Member

yea thats a reason why ive been leaning more towards a corn to start out. their heat and humidity isnt as difficult to maintain as a ball pythons would be.