This Disappears When Logged In

Heating Open Air Screen Cage

Discussion in 'Heating' started by docdubz, Feb 14, 2013.

1. docdubz

docdubz Member

Im thinking about building a new vivarium it will basically be a 30 gallon glass fish tank with an open air screen cage on top of it for the land part. Would heat lamps provide adequate heat for this land area if the room temperature in my house drops to about 50*F on the occasional very cold winter nights?

2. chawk

chawk Banned User

it depends on what animal your keeping in it. As for anything that needs humidity and heat screen top needs to be closed in

3. docdubz

docdubz Member

I was thinking of keeping a couple anoles. I have 2 monsoon rs400's that I will use with it so Im not too worried about humidity

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, as already stated you need a solid top, the idea is to provide a selfcontained space inside the fish tank. You may as well keep them in the room itself because that`s where most of the heat and humidity will go with a screen lid.

5. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

Don't actually keep them in the room, That was sarcasm!

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

No, I was being ironic.... ;) But I agree, DO NOT keep them in the room itself, they MUST be in a suitable enclosure!

7. docdubz

docdubz Member

Thats what I thought.. I was hoping I could save a good deal of money by using mesh for the land area. $40 a sheet for 4'x2' which I would need 7 of them... is kind of a deal breaker for my current situation. thanks for the info though.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

For what? I get 3/4 inch cabinet grade plywood for $40 a 4x8 sheet!

9. docdubz

docdubz Member

sorry should have specified, the best price ive been able to find is $40 for a 4'x 2' acrylic sheet. Can you even use plywood in a paludarium type set up? I would imagine the water feature and humidity would rot/warp the wood pretty quickly.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Thats why you seal the wood with Polycrylic.

11. docdubz

docdubz Member

ok cool Ill check that stuff out