This Disappears When Logged In

Heating Issues

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by J.D., Jan 21, 2017.

1. J.D.

J.D. New Member

So I recently purchased 3 new melamine/glass door enclosers for my ball pythons/boa and I am having difficulties managing the heat. All three have a spot for a heat bulb and a spot for a large fluorescent bulb for lighting. I would like to have the heat bulbs running 24/7 and only turn on the fluorescent bulbs during the day. The problem is the enclosures are getting too hot with both the heat bulb and the fluorescent light on. The heat bulbs are only 25 watts and they are still getting too hot. So I ordered 15 watt heat bulbs but they are much longer than the 25 watt bulb and won't work because soon I would like to build little chicken wire cages around the bulbs so that my snakes don't get burned. (I attached pictures of my current 25watt bulb and the new 15 watt ones that are too long) I keep my house around 72 degrees so it's not too hot.
    So does anyone know if a 15 watt heat bulb is made that's not super long(I can't find one anywhere) Or if there's another way besides making more vent holes(which I don't want to do) any suggestions or ideas? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Well I can give a couple suggestions, but neither will be exactly cheap. First, replace the florescent fixture with an LED version. Home depot in my area has some decent ones I've been going to try in a couple setups, but haven't had the extra cash yet. Second, replace the heat bulbs with a ceramic heat emitter and a thermostat. Or get hold of the cage manufacturer and see what they recommend for using heat pads with it. You'll need the t-stat either way.

Jay1718 likes this.
  3. aztec4mia

aztec4mia Elite Member

What are you monitoring your temps with?
    Do you have a thermostat regulating the cages heating?
    What are the cage sizes?

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Are the bulbs completely inside the habitat?
    A few pics would help get some ideas going.
    Are the units stacked?