This Disappears When Logged In

Heating Issues on Customs

Discussion in 'Heating' started by TJOHNSON722, Dec 15, 2012.

1. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Ok, so I finally am ready to put the snakes in the 3 tiered 4x2x2. I am using heat tape on each one with snap n lock flooring on top of it. All 3 set to thermostats. All pieces are in basement. Ambient temperatures in basement are at 67.5 degrees. Top cage is measuring 84 deg over top of heat tape. However, ambient temps are only 67.5 and 66 on cool side. Middle is even slightly cooler than those. These are no where near what temps should be.

I was thinking of bringing an oil heater downstairs and hanging canvas to make a room of sorts until we can fix it long term. In summer temps are about 75-77 ambient in basement so I don't need to worry except in winter. However, its winter. We are putting a wood furnace in basement to supplement our heat which will turn ambient temps to 85 easily, but until that's completed I'm stuck. I'm taking suggestions, but I'm thinking the oil heater might be best. Right next to the 3 tiered cages is the 2 8x4x4 cages we've got. I've enclosed pictures to help.

The LG cages, I have the heat tape under the snap n lock again.

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Forgot the pictures again......

Attached Files:

3. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

It will only let me post 2 at a time.

Attached Files:

4. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I would think three separate ceramic heat emitters would be more efficient than a portable oil heater, although I suppose that depends on how well you enclose the space around the enclosures. Do the enclosures have any sort of gaps or ventilation holes?

EDIT: Try closing off the ventilation holes to see what sort of temps you're dealing with then.

5. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Ok. The vent holes are large ill try that thanks.

6. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

How about using some of that styrofoam insulation to wrap around..... Using some CHE you should be able to raise your temps

7. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Try some painters tape (not duct tape) on the inside over the holes you bored. Also, are there any open gaps between the door frame and the jam/front frame? If so perhaps you can find some thin weather stripping to seal them off. Your priority should be insulating the enclosures as best you can. Once you do that you can then reassess your heating situation.

8. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

It only heats the oil inside the thing, it doesn't actually burn the oil. So it shouldn't be an issue. It's an oil filled heater not a oil heater as in burner.

No there are no gaps anywhere. My husband is a fanstasic carpenter. He's rerouting a vent directly over the cages. So that should help. I guess well know tonight.

We vetoed heat light lamps inside cages bc we would literally have to put in a cage over it. So I would like to stay away from the ceramic heat emitters. Especially with only 2 ft in height.

9. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I was thinking about insulating it. The ambient air temp though in basement worries me. I thought the heat tape would work better than this.

10. Vers

Vers Elite Member

The problem is wood and wood composite, while they are great insulators, are poor conductors of heat. Tile would have been a better choice.

11. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Yeah I was so worried about how thick it was though. What we did do was put canvas cloth hanging from ceiling /floor until we finish.