This Disappears When Logged In

Heating Help

Discussion in 'Heating' started by sheshi16, Dec 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sheshi16

sheshi16 Active Member

Hi Guys and Gals,

After much reading and research on the whole heating/lighting subject, I am thoroughly confused. I just read that the red bulbs are not good and here I am with my red bulbs....on all the time......no wonder I have igs with issues!!

Ok, I'm at a loss to understand how you keep a cage warm and humidified if it is mesh?

Lastly, can anyone give me some simple advice on heating and lighting? Yeah, I'm a teacher and just can't get it! :mad:

I'm so glad I found this site, everyone had been wonderful. Thanks you again.
    Shelli :D :D

2. angel

angel Elite Member

Hi Shelli,
    Here is a couple of links to some great info for you. As far as lighting, I don't know much other than what my boyfriend uses for his igs and what i use for my uro. For the igs he uses the uva/uvb light all day as well as a basking light. (basking light 150W) Then at night he has a blue light, not for lighting but to maintain heat within the cage. We uses 2 thermometers. One is on the cool side and one is on the warm side, as well as a humidity meter. If the air is a little dry, you can spray the igs with a spray bottle. Keeping water in the cage will also help with the humidity as the increased heat will cause some evaporation.
    I have said before that I am no expert. I am sure that there are others out there with much better, specific advice for you. But I hope this helps a little. :)

Angel

http://www.herpcenter.com/showthread.php?t=6818
    http://www.herpcenter.com/showthread.php?t=7107

3. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Greetings Shelli:D :D -

UVB= Good strong UVB source, whether fluorescent or Mercury Vapor lamp. Place this (these, in the case of the fluorescent) at the proper distance, depending on the type of lamp. These should be on from 10-12 hours (fluorescents) or 8-10 hours (Mercury vapor) each day. Reptisun 5.0 or Iguanalight 5.0 are best.

Darkness= Complete darkness for 10-12 hours each day.

Full Spectrum light= A common household bulb. This fills out the light spectrum for the iguana. Keeps them happier.

Heating= A Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) or other non-light producing heat source (Mega-Heat, Heat Panel, etc.). This is to heat ambient cage temps. You can use a human heating pad at the basking spot for higher temps at the basking spot. Or simply use the CHE and UVB at the basking spot and let the rest of the cage be heated by the household lamp.

The problem with your red bulb is that it is on all the time. They need a darkness period each night. Also, it is not producing any UVB, which is life-threatening to your iguana. UVB is essential to life.

I hope this wasn't too complicated of an explanation. :)

For a more complicated explanation go here: http://www.cyber-ig-info.netfirms.com/uvb_light.htm

Happy New Year and good luck to you!

4. prismwolf

prismwolf Well Established Member

Lighting is easy!! At least...I'll try to make it that way...

Daytime: One basking bulb for heat set to shine in the UVB basking area. Use a regular household bulb for this. In an open air enclosure you may need a pretty high wattage bulb. I use a 150W in my open front enclosure set in a clamp lamp with ceramic socket. Cover the sides of the enclosure with a blanket or tape a shower curtain to help hold in the heat. Do the top too except where the lights shine in. Lots of heat gets lost through there.

UVB - Easy! Use either two 4' flourescent tubes using the Reptisun 5.0 or 10.0, or purchase a Mega Ray EB (external ballast) which screws in to a clamp lamp with a ceramic socket.

Nighttime: EASY!! Use a lightless heat source in the area where your ig sleeps. It's best for the ig. Using one that produces any light often disturbs the sleep, even the red and blue ones. In the wild they have leaves to get away from the moon glow...enclosures often do no provide this. Use either a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) or the Mega Ray HE (heat emitter). You only need these if you temps at night go down below 70. You can also put these on rheostats to help control the temps a bit more scientifically...:)

Humidity: You can use a warm air vaporizor, or cold air, making sure you adjust the temps once you see how the mist affects them. These can be found fairly cheap at Wal-Mart. Set it on a timer so you get intermitent mistings throughout the day and leaving it off at night. Bathing and misting, of course, will add to your greenies comfort...:)

5. sheshi16

sheshi16 Active Member

Angel, Dominick and Veronica,

Thanks so!! Simple enough Dominick :):) I just hope I haven't damaged my igs too much. The change in both of them in the last two days is phenomenal. Little if, Rosie, is doing much better. She's regained her color and is eating much better.

These are fascinating reps. I'm trying very hard to be a good "mom" to my igs. I can see I'll be going shopping this weekend for heating, lighting and moisture items!! :):)

Thanks again guys (and gals) Y'all are awesome!!!

Shelli

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.