This Disappears When Logged In

Heating Bottom of Stock Tank

Discussion in 'Heating' started by kriminaal, Mar 7, 2011.

1. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I need ideas for heating the bottom of this stock tank.
    I'm going to build an enclosure on top and use for a deep substrate. I need to get the temperature into the mid eighties.
    stock_tank.png
    I was thinking of building a shelf with a space below and using a Kane heat mat so far. But they aren't that cheap and I haven't found a supplier in Canada yet.

EDIT: a shelf below would not likely be strong enough to support the weight of the tank.

Attached Files:

2. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

What about trying insulation material and sandwiching heat tape between the material and the tank?

3. Rob

Rob Elite Member

Maybe wrap it in a heat cable. Really your problem is going to be getting it there more than keeping it there. Is this for a monitor? As mid 80's seems high for most the monitors i have read on since they use borrows to get away from the heat.

4. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Could you put a heat panel inside of it, just outside of the tub area? Am I looking at this right Mike?

5. kriminaal

It's for Odatria monitors. They lay eggs at 86 deg Fah. So I'm trying to provide half of the substrate at that temp. They do burrow to get away form heat but midday heat is closer to 100F.
    @Dragonflies
    I don't think heat tape would heat enough through the material of the poly stank tank. It's fairly thick. But that is an option to try.

Heat cable is one route that might work. It must be sunk into something though so they don't nick it when burrowing. Some have encased cable into epoxy resin or cement.

Randy I think I'd need a heat mat to get enough out of it, and so far they're $140. Not sure if the heat panels would be enough. But I've never used them so feel free to correct me.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Maybe look into waterbed heaters?

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

little space heater in between the box and the tub?

8. kriminaal

Hmm, good ideas. I'll have to calculate the operating costs of those.
    I know space heaters are fairly high wattage usually 2 settings 750/1500 watt. But in a small area might not run all that much.

9. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

what about azn infrared heat, since that would soak into the substrate

10. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

If you used the heat tape sandwiched between the tub and some roof insulation, the heat would have nowhere to go but into the tub. It might take a while to heat up, but that should be ok, because once you're up to temp, it should be pretty easy to regulate.

11. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

This may sound like a super crazy idea. Get some copper tubing, slightly larger than the heat cable. Fish the cable through the copper and attach the copper to the insides of the tubs. Will heat the copper up and act as a heat sink transfering heat to the substrate.

Another idea is the same as I said before, but instead of the heat cable, use water. Get a small water heater, and hook up the tubing. Basicly making a small broiler. The water in the tubing will be in there and just reheat again and again and again.

12. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

That kind of sounds like a steam jacket kettle, used in commercial cooking.
    Google Image Result for http://www.clevelandrange.com/images/uploaded/cle/minisites/steam_jacketed_kettles/get_cooking_with_steam.jpg

13. kriminaal

I like that copper tubing with the heat cable idea. Sounds pretty simple and would be pretty nick proof.

edit: any recommendations on heat cable brands?

14. kriminaal

I think I might try it with pipe heat cable. I'd rather have too much heat and dim it down then too little and have to rip it apart again.
    Attaching the copper pipe to the outside I hope will work, so I can monitor it a little easier.

15. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Good luck Mike. I dont really have any experience with the heat panels to know if they would work. Just an idea. The tubing sounds like a good idea.

16. kriminaal

I was looking at all the different heat panels last night. None of them I would feel secure using under substrate.
    The Kane heat mats even the company doesn't recommend haven't anything on top. They are designed for pigs and on the website says not to put hay or straw on top. I wonder if it would cause a hot spot.
    Anyway pipe heat cables are only $25, I haven't checked into the cost of copper pipe yet though.
    If that doesn't work I may try attaching heat panels to the outside of the trough.

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I must not be familiar with the type of pipe heating cables you are talking about. The only ones I have seen put out just enough heat to keep a waterpipe from freezing.

18. kriminaal

The ones I know off have a built in thermostat that would have to be removed.