This Disappears When Logged In

Heating And Activity Of Savs

Discussion in 'Lizard Videos' started by barrington, Sep 8, 2017.

1. barrington

barrington Member

hello i have two savs and i love them and want the best for them so here goes i have a few questions so i built my enclosures and they came together nice initially what i was running wasnt good and i had alot of help from some of the people on here which led to me switching from the red lights to halogen lighting and it helped me to understand that it was better for the savs they are more active and come out and enjoy themselves alot more now
    so in the smaller enclosure it is 4x3x3 with a sav that is about a foot long head to tail i am running two haolgen par 38 flood lights now in there one at 72w right over the basking area at about a foot over the area and one diagonally from it the one next to it is running at about 70w as well along with two uvb lights at 26w i have a temp gun and the basking area for this enclosure is running at 120-135 degrees the ambient temp on the hot side is in the midle of the cage is and the on the cooler side the temp is my savs dont eat right away but when it gets quiet for a while or when you leave they act like ladies and dont want to eat or to be seen eating but once they engage they dont mindas for the bigger enclosure well it is 6x4x4 and the sav in there is a foot and a half maybe two and he is active as well running three halogen lights in there one over the basking area same as the smaller on the basking area is and the ambient temp is at on the hot side and in the middle and on the cooler side over all in both cages the humidit levels are in the same vicinity at there is nothing wrong with the lizards as they are doing what they normally are supposed to do i just always worry and want perfection for them because they are my children and i treat them like this as welljust want to know if there is anything i can adjust or do better for them or is this enough i am going to add some wood for hiding places as i see they enjoy these hiding places that they have now
    in the second pic you can see in the smaller enclosure you can see the sav loves to bask there on the ground as well as on the stand as you can see in the third pic as well

Attached Files:

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

It's very difficult to understand you... there is no punctuation at all. All your sentences are running together.

3. barrington

barrington Member

sorry that i didnt use any punctuation let me try again!
    hello i have two savs and i love them and want the best for them so here goes i have a few questions.

i built my enclosures and they came together nice initially what i was running wasnt good as far as lighting and heating, i had alot of help from some of the people on here which led to me switching from the red lights to halogen lighting, it helped me to understand that it was better for the savs as they are more active and come out and enjoy themselves alot more now.

In the smaller enclosure it is 4x3x3 with a sav that is about a foot long head to tail i am running two haolgen par 38 flood lights now in there one at 72w right over the basking area at about a foot over the area and one diagonally from it the one next to it is running at about 70w as well along with two uvb lights at 26w. i have a temp gun and the basking area for this enclosure is running at 120-135 degrees the ambient temp on the hot side is at 90-94 degrees, and in the midle of the cage it is80-83 degrees and the on the cooler side the temp is at 74-77 degrees! sometimes my savs dont eat right away but when it gets quiet for a while or when you leave they act like they dont want to be seen eating but once they engage they dont mind to be seen eating.

as for the bigger enclosure well it is 6x4x4 and the sav in there is a foot and a half maybe two and he is active as well, im running three halogen lights in there one over the basking area same distance as the smaller enclosure in the basking area, and the ambient temp is at82-85 degees but that is due to the thermometer being placed a little higher on the hot side, and in the middle at 80 degrees, on the cooler side the ambient temp is 75-77 degrees.

over all in both cages the humidity levels are in the same vicinity, and there is nothing wrong with the lizards as they are doing what they normally are supposed to do i just always worry and want perfection for them because they are my children and i treat them like this as well just want to know if there is anything i can adjust or do better for them or is this enough i am going to add some wood for hiding places as i see they enjoy these hiding places that they have now
    in the second pic you can see in the smaller enclosure you can see the sav loves to bask there on the ground as well as on the stand as you can see in the third pic as well
    see previous email for pics
    @AmityReptiles

4. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Awesome. Thanks for updating the post, I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just want to make sure we can understand and help you.
    Have they made any burrows yet? How deep is your substrate and what mix did you use?
    And what is the diet like?

5. barrington

barrington Member

the substrate is a mix of playsand and topsoil and it is at about a foot and a half there diet is of meal worms and crickets as well as a rodent or two a week

6. barrington

barrington Member

ok so earlier i went into the enclosure to change the water and with my bug monitor well i went to pick him up andmove him to clean the enclosure out and once i picked him up he vomited and two meal worms came out i think it was because he was scared i dont really know should i be worried it was slimy kind of should i be worried any he is alot buigger so much more developed

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, the monitor regurgitated the food because you forced handled (the stress).
    Mealworms are not very nutritious, better are roaches, whole freshwater shrimp/prawns, earthworms (make sure no chemicals have been used in the soil) fertilised quail eggs (try ebay for the latter)....
    I cannot tell if you`ve put the 2 halogen bulbs close together at the basking site or if one is just the compact UVB bulb (the compacts are not very efficient ).

8. barrington

barrington Member

thanks again for the info so i can give my sav raw shrimp as long as they are freshwater and quail eggs as well do they have to be cooked or just raw and were you implying that i can get the eggs off of ebay i have on halogen light ove the basking area in the bigger enclosure i am to put another one there today actually i didn think the one was sufficient to begin with there are no chemicals in the soil in which i am using it isnt from a bag @murrindindi

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The fertilised quail eggs are best fed raw (I buy them from ebay over here). I mentioned no chemicals in the soil if you collect earthworms from outside.

10. barrington

barrington Member

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Yes, they look fine but I would try and buy just a half dozen, then offer one per week to each monitor.