This Disappears When Logged In

Heating a Wooden Enclosure?

Discussion in 'Heating' started by uncertainsky, Apr 1, 2013.

1. uncertainsky

uncertainsky Elite Member

I am starting to make plans for a 4'x2'x2' wooden enclosure for my BRB. I want it to be solid walls with holes for ventilation, so no screen tops. With no screen top I need to heat the enclosure from underneath as I don't want lights inside the tank. I can't just slap a UTH on it so whats the best way to do it? I was thinking about cutting out the bottom on one side and siliconing tile there and placing a UTH pad underneath the tiles. Thoughts? This will be my first build so any and all help would be awesome!

2. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

You can do the ceramic heat emitter bulb in the tank with a cage around it. But if you really dont want anything inside....I think you could either look into flexwatt heat tape..... but I don't know much about that stuff..... or you could even do a radiant heat panel inside the enclosure.... expensive at first, but cheap to run.

3. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Radiant heat panel is better. Flexwatt isn't that great especially with wood. Trust me

4. uncertainsky

Well I am open to putting a light dome inside. I am just nervous about the animal getting burned even with a cage around the dome. Plus I really like the running costs of pads compared to 50 watt and up bulbs/CHE. I guess halogens would be good?

5. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I LOVE LOVE LOVE halogens. Get par38. They do get pretty hot. If I did that I would make it a foot taller though. As long as you use chicken wire or something small enough they can't get through you'll be fine.

6. uncertainsky

And what would be the best way to install a dome inside the enclosure?

7. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

We installed a light fixture and hooked it up to an outlet. When I say we I mean my husband

8. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

I'm going to get some pics up here in a minute so you can see how I did mine.

9. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

[​IMG][/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
    Hope this helps!
    I drilled a hole (I think 1.5") and slipped the light fixture down into it...then siliconed it in place. Then I made the cage using hardware cloth (I deviated a little from the write-up found on here) So far no issues at all....as far as the snakes safety.

10. uncertainsky

Awesome! And that's just a ceramic light base? Did you do anything special around the base for the wood? Because my CHE just in a dome on top of the screen now gets really hot.

11. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

Nope, nothing special done to the wood, although there is polycrilic and paint on the wood. In the first picture you can see silicone around the edge of the light fixture where it meets the wood(but that was just to keep in moisture). I also painted the "cage" with hi temp black spray paint....and even though the CHE is so close I can hold the cage with my hand and it wont burn.

ETA: yea thats just a Ceramic light fixture too.

12. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Mines done the same way.. here's mine in my 8x4x4 mine faces out sideways instead of down.

Attached Files:

13. themourningstar

themourningstar Active Member

Hijacking the thread for a weeeee second.. Does anyone know the average cost for running heat mats, ceramic heat emitters, etc? Definitely seen a raising of our electricity bill, and with you guys talking about the efficiency of certain things.. Thanks :)

14. TtomRed

TtomRed Active Member

Hey all, I just started a very related thread, only I'm trying to find a way to do this in a 2 tank stack. Input would be appreciated, but to the poster a nice method I've seen is a real shallow dome lamp on top with a hole cut almost as wide as the lamp, and then a real nice screening job just over the hole gives you the nice all wood appearance with a non-burning inescapable heat source. You could even bite off of my plan and build a cubby for the lamp on top by extending upwards, making sure of course you have ventilation and access to the lamp