This Disappears When Logged In

Heating a Sterilite Bin

Discussion in 'Heating' started by Evozakira, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

I have a couple of these sterilite bins today for when my silkworm eggs show up. They need heat to be able to hatch faster but i dont know whats safe to you on these bins. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I've used the UTHs on bins without any issues. Just determine what temp your looking for and size the pad accordingly. Zoo med makes them from 4 watts to 20 or more I think... can't remember, but you 'll more then likely need something around the 16 watt zone. Maybe a couple well placed too. Good luck and remember to check and double check your temps till you know what their consistent temp is.

3. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

4. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

The one that fits good is 8watt. The box says glass only so i wanna make sure it is ok before i buy it

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

6. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

I already been through his thread many of times but our set ups are goijg to be way different because all that stuff cost to much. I just want to know if the zoo med 6x8 uth is safe to use on my container without melting it

7. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I leave the plastic coating your supposed to peel off on(makes it easier to transfer between tanks if needed) and it has never melted. You can always test it on something that you don't mind melting :)

8. mld

I have used human heating pads without the auto shut off, and just keep it on low, they are only about $12. here at Walmart! Probably even cheaper in the US.

9. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

I was thinking about that. I have a old one but it sucks. I can try that first i guess cause if it dont work i can always return it. The bins arnt big so its not a lt of space to heat. I just cant have big set ups atm becuase yhe house goes on the market in a week so this stuff is going on in my closet right now lol

10. mld

With one pad, you bins are small enough to have both on it!

11. JoeyG

I used the 8 watt on the side of a plastic bin. Was completely stuck on and never had any issues with it. I'm using two on a 12x12x12 cage, when both are going I get temps up to mid 80s and one at night on the side drops me to around 79 give or take depending on how cold the home gets. Usually ambient of 70F at night because of my daughter we leave heat on so it wont drop below that. Hope that helps

12. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

My glass 12x12x12 has one 8watt and its at 75 at night and i use a night like during the day to get to 85. Its pretty cold here so ill stop using the light after winter

13. JoeyG

I also use one on the bottom because I need humidity up during the day. Plus I keep mine in a confined spot on my stand so it keeps heat better I think.

14. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

I Can't put on bottom of my glass tank cause the pacman buries himself in different spots. Do you think if I put another one on the other side it will get it to 85 without the bulb? I have some store credit at petsmart so I can pick up another 8 watt. Then just get a heat pad from walmart for the sterilite tubs.

15. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Heres how it looks

Attached Files:

16. JoeyG

Are you using anything in the back? I wouldn't put it on the other side because then you wont have a cooler side in my opinion. I would either place it on the back (if you don't have anything in the way) or the same side. I use 2 16watt on the 18x18x24 and one on the bottom and the get's almost too hot sometimes into the upper 80s if not careful. Try it and if doesn't work then you can always peel it off and use it somewhere else. Keep the backing for it because you can always use it again if you take it off for any reason you can always store it.

17. JoeyG

Cool little set up. I would almost put it in the back, using both to make a little warm corner

18. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Ill give it a try.