This Disappears When Logged In

Heater Too Hot?

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by heysharon, Jul 11, 2013.

1. heysharon

heysharon Member

Yesterday I felt the glass bottom of the tank under the mulch where the heater is stuck and was alarmed to discover it was hot to the touch. The mulch was nice and toasty, but the glass under it too hot to leave my hand on. I didn't realize the tank needed to be elevated so there was space between the floor of the tank where the heater is stuck and the furniture. Yeah, I know, duh. I propped the tank up on some dominoes and ran out to get the thermometer I'd been meaning to get. Even after elevating the tank, the thermometer still read over 90 on the inside glass on the bottom of the tank. Of course, Gilbert frequently burrows under the mulch, and I was concerned he could get burned. I pulled the heater off of the glass and let it lay on the table under the elevated tank. Now the glass bottom is 83 deg, but the mulch doesn't feel very warm. Is it warm enough if it doesn't warm the mulch that much?

There was a thermostat that I could plug the heater into for sale at Petco, but that sucker was $80.

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

You can order thermostats off line on amazon for 25.00 (hydrofarm). Here's the thing these things can get up to 110 degrees. If you search the forums or the net you'll find all sorts of scary my uth got too hot and burnt or killed my snake.

What are you measuring with? If ts not digital its probably not accurate. I would suggest getting a thermostat asap to regulate temps.

3. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Snakes need the belly heat, it simply has to be regulated with a thermostat. It's very important to their digestion

4. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

The hydrofarm stats are decent. Not great but hard to beat the price point.

Yes, a thermostat is a must for any belly heat. In the short term you could grab a dimmer from your local hardware store

5. heysharon

heysharon Member

OK, I am shopping for a thermostat. I plugged it into a dimmer in the interim. Should the probe be placed on the glass surface on the bottom of the tank or at the top of the substrate?

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That's pretty vague. How much over 90?

7. heysharon

heysharon Member

Right now it reads 92.3 on the glass, but I've turned the dimmer down and the glass is still cooling.

8. Merlin

92 is fine as long as the snake can move to a cooler area.

9. heysharon

heysharon Member

OK, thank you! So the glass bottom temp is what I need to measure?

I haven't seen him under the hide over the heater in a few days. He's been spending most of his time curled around the water dish under the hide where the mulch is moist. I'm guessing because he's preparing to shed. I'm misting the tank, and the humidity levels are between 65 and 70. He ate yesterday.

10. Merlin

You need to know the spot temperature as well as the ambient air temp. Everything in between is negotiable.