This Disappears When Logged In

Heat Tape Problems

Discussion in 'Heating' started by kosreptiles, Mar 30, 2014.

1. kosreptiles

kosreptiles Member

Ok I built my new breeder rack and put 3'' heat tape on back end of the tape. I soldered the connections and per the dealer suggestions i have raised the tank roughly 1/8th off the tape to see if that helps. I took off the dimmer for now just till i figure this problem out. The tape itself is at roughly 95 degrees unregulated which means thats as high as it goes. And this only allows my tubs to get around 80, the highest I have seen it go is 85 and im guessing that was because of ambient temps alittle higher. has anyone seen this problem with this stuff before. I really need to get the back end of these tubs 90-95 exspecially before my new breeder pair get here. thanks guys

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

The tape I use gets hotter than that, but i am using the 11" stuff, and it's attached to the bottom of ceramic tiles. Perhaps wider tape, with a higher output would heat up better?

3. kosreptiles

kosreptiles Member

Yes im sure that will help slightly, the problem is 11'' would heat to much of my bins and def dont want that, just dont get what the problem is, and as many people that swear by this stuff i dont see how at this point, from what i have read the tape should get way over 100F and i have barely seen 90F plugged directly into the wall.hmmm

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Maybe the six inch, then?

5. kosreptiles

kosreptiles Member

yes i do believe that is what i will get next and use this for my smaller breeds

6. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

No... Not hardly. Uncontrolled Heat tape can and will get extremely hot.

Put the tape under the back end of the tubs and set it to 93°. Doing so will allow for a hot spot of approximately 90°.

If you're using tanks you're going to have a much harder time since glass is thicker than plastic.

7. kosreptiles

kosreptiles Member

No im using breeder bins which are very thin...what im saying is I have them plugged in direct and still not over 80 in tubs. I just ordered 6" so well see

8. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

How are your wiring skills? Seems like its possible you have a bad connection so the tape isnt getting full power. Whats the wattage density of the tape you are using?

9. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Whats the ambient air temp of the room? What are you using to measure the temperature of the tubs?

10. kosreptiles

kosreptiles Member

Well I'm a certified electrician very good at soldering. I started this with the clips and wondered if it was then but took them off and soldered them to verify and it did get slightly better but that's it.not sure about that it's the flex watt 4" so whatever the standard is for that

- - - Updated - - -

Ambient is no lower then 72 & measuring with laser and a probe type to verify

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  11. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Well... I got nothing then. I dont get it at all. Ive never had any issues with getting my tape up to temp

12. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

Well I am pretty sure you're not supposed to solder them so that could possibly be why.. Not sure, though.

What kind of dimmer are you using? Perhaps you'll have better luck with a thermostat?