This Disappears When Logged In

Heat Source for Giant Millipedes?

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by smallgrayfox, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Drain flies and midges also look very similar to gnats. No real point there I guess, just giving some examples of other insects that would probably be called "gnats" by most.

An airtight seal should really help, or at least something close to it. They don't need nearly as much oxygen as a vertebrate. Just opening the lid every once in a while to feed or observe is all the air exchange they'll need.

2. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Thank you, I'll pass that on to Maggie (who still hasn't decided what she wants to do...the suspense is killing me :D ) She's planning on majoring in biology when she goes to college (August after next!!! Where has the time gone??? :(), and she'd love to have a really unusual pet, she says.

She's been looking at other kinds of things besides frogs and millipedes too...I noticed you have vinegaroons...what are those like? Are they difficult to find? Is their care simple or complicated? The descriptions I've been reading are pretty interesting, and not being the usual sort of scorpion (no stinger), I'm wondering if I might um..well, not be terrified of them like I am of the emperor scorpions and tarantulas Maggie was looking at online the other day. :eek: Although vinegaroons are plenty creepy looking...

I like mantids an awful lot...she was looking at those online too. I wonder how that would be...I've never seen them in pet stores though...don't know where you'd find any...

She will most likely go to college here in town and live at home, so whatever pet she gets will likely be in my house for a long time, so I kind of need to be able to deal with it.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Mantids are pretty cool and you can generally find some outside if you aren't looking for the exotic stuff. You can even order them thru garden catalogs as a biological pest control.

4. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Oh cool! Thank you :)

5. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Vinegaroons are different from scorpions entirely. Aside from both being arachnids, they're not related. They don't sting, but they do use acetic acid as a defense. If you bother them the whole room might smell like vinegar and your eyes and nose will run. I've only had it happen that bad once or twice though. They're pretty easy to care for, but hard to breed. They can be hard to find online and almost always wild caught if they're adults. They're not always very communal either. They're really cool though.

I used to breed mantids as well. The downside to mantids is there's no point in keeping them unless you intend to breed them. Mantids only have a year long lifespan. As Merlin was talking about though, you can order Chinese mantid oothecas intended as biological pest control in gardens. I wouldn't recommend releasing any though, they're a non-native species that wreaks havoc on native species.

Both mantids and vinegaroons are best found online and then ordered.

6. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Hey Julianne....the other guys gave you the best advice....glad to have you back!!!! Have fun!

7. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

If you're still interested in Giant Millipedes, LLLreptile has them for 8.99. Here's a link!

8. KenTheBugGuy

KenTheBugGuy Member

Heat mats do work well unless your place gets really cold. I have found that one of my favorite heat sources are the ceramic heat emitters. They do not burn out like bulbs and can produce a lot of heat. Just make sure to get a thermistat and make sure that it does not get too hot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.