This Disappears When Logged In

Heat Rope, Radiant Heat Panels, and Heat Mats.

Discussion in 'Heating' started by exotics, Jan 2, 2014.

1. exotics

exotics New Member

Within the next few months I want to get rid of my space heater that I have in my reptile room (a $200 electric bill does not agree with me) and replace it with something else. I have 2 4ft long, 2 ft high, 2 ft wide wooden enclosures that I made for our bearded dragons (covered in tile) plus 5 10gallon tanks, 2 20 gallon tanks, 1 29 gallon tank, and 1 40gallon tank that are on again off again since I buy reptiles from a breeder friend resell them. I'm looking for reviews on the heat ropes, radiant heat panels and the heat mats.

I was thinking of using the heat ropes for the actual tanks and would prefer to stay away from the heat mats because it didn't work too well for me years and years ago. Then again, I could have been using it wrong. Reading, the heat rope more or less works like the heat mat so I wasn't too sure about it. Has anyone had better luck with on than the other?

I plan on using a 80watt radiant heat panel for each of the beardies' enclosures since that'll cover almost half of the ceiling. I'm really interested in review on the panels because i can't find much of anything about them :/

If I'm missing any other heating devices that work well for heating cages please do inform me :) Thanks for any help.

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

what are you referring to as "heat rope"?

I used a heat cable (rubber coated) in the terrarium with my male ball python years ago, and he managed to get mild burns from it - how I don't know. I did not enclose mine in a tube, which may have been part of the problem.

I do not yet have a heat panel (coming soon to my WIP cage) but some members here do, and those that do absolutely swear by them.

Another heating device is a heat projector made by mega-ray, which again, I have not tried, but have heard good things about them.

I only have a few heat mats I trust - the ones I get at CVS intended for people use, and my KANE heat mat, which I got used, about 7 years ago, and absolutely love.

Heat mats they sell you at reptile stores are garbage.

You can also make your own heat 'tile' by wiring flexwatt according to instructions, then using foil tape to fasten it to the bottom of a ceramic tile. If attached to a dimmer switch, you can control the temp. I have a couple of those, and have not had problems with them yet. They won't heat a cage though, they will just make a warm spot to lay.