This Disappears When Logged In

Heat Rock Hubbub

Discussion in 'Heating' started by Toadie78, Dec 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

My only experience is with the originals,,,left such a bad taste that I feel I'll just stick to the uth and lighting. I feel more comfortable having total control

3. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

I agree. Lighting is 1000X better IMO. And in a close second is UTH, and right after that is CHE's. I don't see why companies would do that. ..the power of a buck. :mad:

I think the rheostat is a problem also, If someone can't get their tank temp high enough I see the rheostat being turned all the way up, making the thing probably way too hot for any animal.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Unfortunately there are some in the pet industry who have a tendency to mislabel packages and mislead customers without regard for the fact that what they are selling amounts to "life support" for a living creature! They don't seem to care that what they are selling may be absolutely useless or even worse dangerous to the animal. Maybe these new heat rocks have had the problems fixed and maybe they haven't. Only time and the money you are pouring into the company's pockets will tell. In the mean time you are basicly using YOUR animal as a guinea pig to test them. And how do you tell if you are getting the "new and improved" version or an older one?

Putting the danger of thermal burns aside for a moment, one of the big problems I see with heat rocks is that they do not heat the cage environment, only the surface of the rock itself. I have talked to so many novices that thought the rock was the only heat the animal needed. The animal was warm while in contact with the rock but the air they were breathing was COLD! This is a definate lead in for respiratory problems and in the case of smaller herps, as soon as they leave the rock their body temperature rapidly drops.

It boils down to the fact that if your enclosure is the proper temperature a heat rock would be unnecessary!

I will continue to recommend against them.

5. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

i just curious, i have decided against getting one and was just curious as to the nature of why people say they are so bad, if it was a learned response that people just passed on or if anyone had tried any of the newer versions. I believe you can tell by looking at the date of manufacture possibly. I know a UTH is one of the best routes to go or even a IR or basking bulb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.