This Disappears When Logged In

Heat Packs?

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by thecw, Oct 4, 2013.

1. thecw

thecw Well-Known Member

So, like I posted in a previous thread, I'm moving and need heat packs for my reptiles for the car ride. What types are good? They're two leopard geckos and, even if my car will be warm, I'd feel more comfortable if they had some additional heating on the way. I'm not sure if the type they sell over the counter are good for this.

Searching on Google just gives referrals to ship your reptiles which isn't what I need.

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

LLLreptile.com they have 40 hour heat packs for shipping. Plus with the 40 hour, you'll have some time for setup.

3. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Also good to have on hand in case of a no power situation.

4. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

These guys also sell shipping heat packs, all the way up to 72 hours:

SHIPPING SUPPLIES :: Disposable Heat Pack - Pangea Reptile Supplies Home Page

Another option are the snap pack heat packs (re-usable). They're available from most drug stores, Walmart, etc.

Hardware stores, auto supply stores, and department stores like Home Depot and Walmart also usually sell disposable hand and feet warmers which work as well.

Regardless of what you choose, ensure you are using a thermometer to prevent your animals from overheating. It's also a good idea to take along paper towel or cloth towels to wrap the heat packs if they'll be in close contact with the reptiles.

5. thecw

thecw Well-Known Member

Okay, I'll check out the snap packs. I knew about the LLLReptile ones but, for various reasons, I'd rather not buy from them. Thanks! I have a temp gun and will make sure to use a paper towel as necessary.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Sporting goods stores also sell them

7. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

amazon sells Heat factory type hot hands. Not The hot hands brand, these were the original ones that exceed 24 hours. They can also be put in a similar sized zip lock if you don't use them for the full 24 hours and reactivated the following day. Heat Factory has fewer duds and although slower to heat up at first they give off a more stead heat I have found and we use them frequently for warming our sleeping bags and our dogs kennels when camping or moving. I get the medium or large sizes.