This Disappears When Logged In

Heat Mat

Discussion in 'Heating' started by Kuvaszfan, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Kuvaszfan

Kuvaszfan Member

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum. I don't own any reptiles, but my daughter has "inherited" the vet school snake and I want to build a better place for it to live. The box it came in was empty, other than the snake.
    Ralph is a Honduran Milksnake.

So here my question. The viv is wood and I would like to put a heat pad in it. How can that be accomplished?
    My idea: take slate and create basically a type of sandwich to put the heat mat in. Would that work?
    Slatetile.jpg
    The snake would not be able to get inbetween the tile, only on top.

Thanks!
    Caroline

Attached Files:

2. Rockstar2011

Rockstar2011 Active Member

That might work, but Im not really sure. I would suggest getting the heat wire and just run that under the tile. You can have it hooked up to a rheostat that allows you to adjust how hot you want the wire to get.

3. Kuvaszfan

Kuvaszfan Member

When you say heat wire, do you mean the cable or is heat wire something different? Can you tell I'm new to this?
    Thanks for the reply!
    Caroline

4. Rockstar2011

Sorry for the confusion, its called different things depending on where you are from. Heat wire, heat tape, and heat cable its all the same :)

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Actually heat mats, heat cable and heat tape are three very different things.
    Heat cable is simply that a coated wire that gets warm. Its often used to wrap around pipes to keep them from freezing.
    Heat tape is flex watt, a plastic strip that contains a heating element.
    A heat mat or heat pad is a rectangular device taht goes on the outside of the enclosure.

When you say "heating pad", exactly what are you referring to?

6. Rockstar2011

When your referring to something outside of the reptile business yes, you would be correct, but if your asking someone in the reptile business they know exactly what your talking about when you say heat tape, heat wire, or heat cable.

I think in this case he is referring to an under the tank heat pad.