This Disappears When Logged In

Heat Mat Thermostat Probe.

Discussion in 'Heating' started by LWP, Aug 6, 2017.

1. LWP

LWP New Member

I'm going to sandwich a probe from my Herpstat between the (Exo Terra) heat mat and the (pvc) cage bottom. The question I have is probably a dumb one but... is the adhesive on the heat mat strong enough that I can just sandwich the probe and that will keep it in place or do I need to attach the probe with something else?

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You don't sandwich it between them. You need the probe to be inside the tank, where the animal will be. The mat will be on the underside or the side of the enclosure, on the outside of the tank. If you put the probe between the mat and tank, you will never reach the desired temps and will likely break the probe.

3. LWP

LWP New Member

Thanks! But I've always set cages up that way. Probe between the heat source and the cage bottom, use an infrared temp gun to check the floor temp over the heat source inside the cage and adjust the temperature via the Herpstat until the desired floor temp is reached. It works fine and completely prevents the snake moving the probe or anything spilling on the probe which may give the Herpstat a false reading. The only difference this time is using the heat mat. I used heat tape in the past which required taping the probe wire to the bottom of the cage because they're not self-adhesive like the mats I'm using this time. Just trying to figure out if the adhesive on the mats is strong enough to keep the probe in place without taping.

4. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Established Member

It would probably be hard to regulate the heat mat properly if you sandwich it, because the heat will get trapped with the probe and it is hard to keep it accurate... why not tape it to the bottom of the heat mat instead? Being careful not to tape the end of the probe completely so it tells you an accurate temperature of the heat mat itself. (Not the enclosure)

5. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I am well aware of what heat tape is and how it is used but that doesn't correlate into you asking about sandwiching the probe between a "heat pad" and the tank. I answered your question as written. If you put that probe between the heat pad and the tank, you are going to create a hot spot. You are going to have it shut down prematurely because unlike aluminum tape (which is what I suspect you are using to keep the heat tape down), the mat is very thick and is going to create a pocket of heat that will tell the probe you have reached the desired temp already. There is no heat dissipation. I use heat tape on all my racks and on some enclosures. I have heat pads on some enclosures and my roach colony. I have used a piece of aluminum tape to adhere my probes to the bottom of the tanks too. Something that is 1/32 thick versus 1/4 inch thick is very different.

AmityReptiles likes this.