This Disappears When Logged In

Heat Mat or Heat Tape?

Discussion in 'Heating' started by BCI, Dec 27, 2013.

1. BCI

BCI Member

Okay, so, as many of you know, I am being given a C.A. Redtail for Christmas. At this point, I still have not been able to get in touch with the breeder, so I am doing what I can to prepare. My friend has agreed to get a heat mat for her, but I need your advice on what kind. She will be going in a 75 gallon long with a screen top (mostly covered by tinfoil) in a room that is from 65-72F. I cannot afford a thermostat right now, this snake is a surprise, we were't planning on getting one until March AFTER the enclosure was set up.

I can either get two feet of 11" heat tape or a 20x7.5" seedling heat mat. Would the heat tape be better? Should i only get 1 or 2 feet for my enclosure? It'll be on the stand, a bout 1/4" away from the glass and I will have at least an inch if not more of cypress mulch as substrate. The tank will also be raised off the stand a bit to allow for airflow to either one.

Which should I chose?
    Thank you,
    BCI

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Don't know anything about the seedling mat, but a hydrofarm t-stat off amazon is pretty darn cheap, and you really need one to be safe. And if you end up with problems keeping the ambient temps where you want them, get some foam to insulate the tank.

3. BCI

BCI Member

When I say I can't afford it I mean we are hardly eating and paying bills (our animals are fed before ourselves) for the next two weeks.

4. BCI

BCI Member

I found one for $10 but it's coming from china so it'll be 2-4 weeks. Decided to get the tape.

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

To be honest, I'd hold off on bringing the animal home until you can get the t-stat and get it set up. Unless you at least already have a dimmer of some sort on hand, because your not going to be able to safely use the heat tape without something to regulate it. I would think the breeder would understand about wanting the cage setup before bringing it home and they may not mind holding it for you for a week or two.

6. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Both the heat tape and heat mat can reach temperatures up to 130 degrees without being regulated by a thermostat. I've heard of snakes dying from literally being burnt or overheated. Contact the seller and I'm pretty sure they won't mind holding it.

7. BCI

BCI Member

That's an unresolvable issue at this point. She was ordered by a friend and I can't get in contact with the breeder.

8. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I read your other post. Since you insist you don't have money, make sure the digital thermometer has a probe. The probe needs to be on top of the glass directly on the heat mat. Regulate the temps by switching the heat tape on and off until you get the thermostat. Still to be sure, keep checking temps after it arrives. I don't know what brand it is, but if it's an off brand, I've learned they really don't regulate at all sometimes. Or they will only work for about a month or so then stop all together. It's a lesson I've learned the hard way. My snake died because the cheaper brand thermostat quit working. That was a long long time ago though. I would start up an emergency fund for emergencies like vet visits, etc.

I also read you cannot find info on humidity. Central American boas need the same humidity requirements as most other boas. You'll have to mist often until you get the quarantine period over and get substrate in.

9. BCI

BCI Member

I have a laser thermometer from zoo med I will be using for temps.

10. BCI

BCI Member

I'm thinking about putting the heat tape on the stand for the 75, putting the 20 gallon in the 75 and covering it with a piece of particle board I have. That way there is a larger space between the tape and the tank. I have a very small amount of money I can work with ($50) until February. I'll go to Home Depot on Monday and see if it's possible to get the screen for the top of the 75 and the hydrofarm. I am trying to do what I can with what I have. I'm in a really bad position

11. jweiner

jweiner Elite Member

What if I sent you a Paypal for $20 to use toward the Hydrofarm thermostat? Or, if you pm me with your full address, I'll have one sent to you. I'm feeling generous this holiday season.

12. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

^ is amazing!! I love it. Why can't you look for a used screen top on craigslist or stuff like that?

13. BCI

BCI Member

Jweiner, wow. I don't know what to say. Ill pm you.

There are hardly any 75 gallon long screen lids online. I was just gonna go get 5ft of 1/4" galvanized hardware cloth and fold it down over the edges then weigh it down with some bricks.

14. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

That's dangerous and doesn't work. (The brick part)

15. BCI

BCI Member

A screen lid made for the purpose would need to be weighed down, too, though. How are you supposed to keep them down?

16. BCI

BCI Member