This Disappears When Logged In

Heat Lamps In/on a 2-tank Stack

Discussion in 'Heating' started by TtomRed, Apr 3, 2013.

1. TtomRed

TtomRed Active Member

Hey guys, been herpin for a while but just started posting here for this particular question. I am planning to build my first vivarium stack (one on top of the other) and most of the examples I've seen have the heat bulbs inside of the tanks themselves but I'd worry about burns, some have cages around it, but that kills me aesthetically. I'm debating making a gap in between the two tanks for a regular shallow lamp to slide into with a single screened hole just as wide as the dome lamp, and then having a strip on the front hiding the gap and the back mostly open for ventilation, however with it being all wood then I'd worry about heat buildup. Any thoughts?

2. TtomRed

TtomRed Active Member

VERY VERY rough sketch of front and back duplex.jpg

3. TtomRed

TtomRed Active Member

Just as rough of a sketch here but just a little more detailed so you get what I mean

duplex.jpg

4. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

5. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

You can vent the wood however you need and to whatever extent you need. I like wood because it does whatever you want it to. need humidity, it will hold it, dry heat, no problem. There are ways to circumvent the aesthetic problems a bulb guard creates. I used creeping vines to block mine, you cannot even see my ceramic heat bulbs.

also: @mikeyp03 is that a carpet I see as your avatar?

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

7. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

Yea it is lol.
    I like the idea of covering the CHE though, for some reason I thought if it were covered it would let out less heat haha

8. diehardislanders

I need to clarify this in case anyone reads and tries. By cover, I mean block the view of, not actually cover. Ceramic heat emitters get hotter than ovens. It would be a horrible idea to ever put anything in a position where it could contact the bulb.

9. diehardislanders

@Ttomred. The only thing I think will be a problem with your sketch is the "light cubby." Your overall tank height is 18" and I think you are underestimating how tall your cubbys will have to be. My small dome lights are 7" tall. Add the 3/4" of plywood for both cubbies, and some room to breath for the lights, and the two light cubbies combined is almost the equivalent size of a third enclosure. At that point i think you could just make the enclosures a little taller and put the fixtures in. (check out VERS builds.) What are you planning on housing in here?

10. TtomRed

TtomRed Active Member

Thanks for the input guys, to that last post yeah I know the drawing is not at all accurate proportionately (come'on, I used MS Paint lol) and even the dimensions listed are just based on the small aquarium tank stand I have, but I'm probably gunna go larger and build the stand. I'm reconsidering and probably going to go for something similar to Vers' tank there because that's a very nice setup he's got there. I'm still thinking with this being for my current snakes (and eventually expanding) I may put a layer of screen up just above that top trim line. It will cut down on space doing the ceramic base setup and certainly on materials, but I'm sure his was for something that wouldn't be climbing up into that top compartment. I'll keep you guys posted, I'm sure once I start ill be posting in general construction!

11. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

Yea I started thinking that you hooked plants/vines to the cage around the CHE, but after thinking about it, I didnt think you did that I figured fake plants would melt lol.

Ttom-if you put the fixtures inside the enclosures you can get away with a 6" cubby in between them, if you put the fixtures in the cubby your probably looking at a height of 10-12"

12. TtomRed

TtomRed Active Member

Yeah for space reasons I'm gunna go ahead and take all your advice, thanks for govin the new guy to the forum some good advice all!
    Mikeyp- I loved how your tank came out, if I had the space I'd just go all out and do something like that, but unfortunately I don't. But I'm curiouse, what did you use for paint/sealant?