This Disappears When Logged In

Heat Lamp Too Hot

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by Shinzoku, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Shinzoku

Shinzoku Active Member

Alright, PetCo gave me a fail heat bulb that is way too hot and I was just informed that the heat needs to be lower. Is there a way that I can cool down the heat a little bit until I can get some money to fix this? Moving it farther away with a clamp doesn't work; I got a lid that fits over the top, with nowhere to clamp onto, and there's nothing nearby I can put it on.

I'm asking this here because this is hurting my gecko. Dx Well, not hurting, but his colors are dulling incredibly and he refuses to eat.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Will they not allow you to bring back the bulb and exchange for a lower wattage bulb?
    What is the wattage of your bulb, and how what is the size of your enclosure LxWxH? Enclosure picture would be great, and how are you measuring your basking temps?

3. Shinzoku

Shinzoku Active Member

No. I tried. Dx

It's a 75 watt, tank 20x10x12. I'll have a picture up in about ten minutes.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

what kind of gecko? If it does not need UVB, a simple house hold bulb will do. Try a 60 watt.

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

It's a leopard gecko!

6. jamesw

jamesw Elite Member

How is this petcos fault?

7. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

you can also use aluminum foil over the top and only leave a small opening. Place the light over the aluminum mostly and it keeps most of the heat out. Amazing thing the little foil. Adjust placement as desired for temp

8. Shinzoku

Shinzoku Active Member

I grabbed a lower watt bulb but they were like, 'NNOO! GET THIS 75 WATT!' and absolutely refused to let me walk out with the one I had. -_- I have a fail PetCo.

Sorry about the picture- something happened when it was sent to my email and I have to get it to resend again.

And- I think I'll try that foil thing. So just...some foil over the lid of the tank with a hole in it where I want the heat?

9. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

In the future it might be best not to take advice from anyone who works at PetCo/smart. I work at a pet specialty store and we attend business conferences regularly and I know for a fact that PetCo/Smart experience a complete turnover of most if not all employees (management might be an exception?) every 18 months. Hey, there may be folks who work there who are really reliable, but it seems like a risk to me. (when it comes to herps)

Edit: I mean this in the nicest way possible :)

10. JoeyG

Pretty much, just watch it carefully so can adjust temps by moving light around. With a 75w I would block a lot of it. I only use a 75 on my all screen cage and it's bigger then yours. Goodluck!

11. JoeyG

Edit... I think we all agree on these stores and the "reptile" keepers ;) No need to sugar coat :)