This Disappears When Logged In

Heat For Garter

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Buggy0123, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

I've read that it doesn't matter if garters have uth or a heat lamp and I just wanted to double check here. I was originally going to use a heat lamp. Also I've read that UV isn't necessary but since they're dinural it seems weird. Should I use a uvb light?

2. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Just about any snake should have access to a warm spot so they can thermoregulate to suit themselves. Most snakes simply don't need UV like lizards, though I have read about a few species like flying snakes that do use it. Garters aren't on that short list though.
    A heat mat or a ceramic heat emitter are better than heat lamps for snakes. Mats are best for gorund-dwelling snakes like garters, milks, and kings. The ceramic heat elements are more useful for climbing snakes like pythons or rat snakes to establish a basking area up off the floor of the enclosure. A thermostat to regulate the temp is also a good idea, though not always necessary depending on the mat and the setup. I use ultratherm heat mats rather than the zoo-med stick-on type because the ultratherms won't get hot enough to cook your critters even w/out a t-stat. Direct contact temp is around 95, a bit high for most snakes, but I have some plastic tubs set up on heat mats and the actual temp inside the tubs is in the 80's.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Most snake keepers prefer heat pads, but that is a personal choice. I have used heating pads as well as bulbs and CHE's.
    As long as you are providing correct conditions, the source of the heat is not important.

4. Garters45

Garters45 Well-Known Member

I like using heat lamps with a red bulb for my garters because they will often burrow under substrate or squeeze under mats to access heating pads and get trapped. Plus, lamps are much easier to get to the correct temp. My baby garter is constantly trying to get under her mat, so I have to weigh it down with plastic decor so she isn't smashed.