This Disappears When Logged In

Heat Cable?

Discussion in 'Heating' started by Komododragon12, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Komododragon12

Komododragon12 Elite Member

Hey everybody, I'm going to get a Leo and was looking at heating sources and found heat cable at the Petsmart website. I was going to use it under the cage and I feel like it would distribute heat better than a UTH. It is also cheaper. I plan on building a custom 36x18x18 enclosure. Would this work? I am thinking of layering it over the whole bottom (I live in a basement, so it gets in the low 60's) and then using a heat lamp on one side to provide the gradient.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A heat cable is not going to heat enough to overcome that temperature. It will only raise the temperature a few degrees.

3. Komododragon12

So a heat pad would be better? I have a heat pad under my corn snake's terrarium and it raises the temp to 80 on the warm side.

4. Merlin

Thats not warm enough, even for the snake.
    You need to aim for a warm spot of 90-95. If you cannot achieve these temps you can,...
    Move the enclosures to somwhere warmer, or add additional heat sources.
    If you have a regular screen top on the tanks, make a solid wooden one with a couple of small vent holes. That will help to contain the heat.

5. Komododragon12

Ok thanks merlin. I'll check the temps again and improve them as needed. Oh, and thanks for closing that other thread. That was going somewhere bad fast.

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

For UTH, I find that the exo terra desert ones have no problem heating up, but with all UTH they should be plugged into a thermostat! Also make sure that the UTH takes up 1/3 of the enclosure!

7. Merlin

Michele have you tried them in a room as cool as he is talking about?

8. mld

My leo's enclosure is in the basement also and I keep my temperature in the basement at 15-17 degrees, so It's pretty cool. But I also have a wooden top.

9. Merlin

Thanks. Thats good to know. Of course I had to jump over and use my metric converter to see what your temps really are!;)

10. mld

I am always using that thing, everything here is in metric, so the dial on our room thermostat goes from 10-30. I'm always hot so everyone else wears sweater;)

11. Komododragon12

Thanks everybody! I got a basking bulb from petsmart today. I know that corn snakes do not need UV light but I've read that it can be beneficial in stimulating natural behaviors. I also grabbed some cypress mulch = P.

12. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I also use UV bulbs along with heat lamps. We must have read the same thing about the benefits :) I use the heat lamp (basking light) as the only source of heat during the day. I have the rest of the screen covered and the UV lights which don't put much heat off. At night I use a ceramic heat emitter and that keeps my temps at about 82 near it and about 79 at the cooler end. (though my lazy girl never really moves around at much so she must have found the perfect zone. I also turn it on after I mess around in her cage to raise temps up faster since my doors are big they let heat out quick. Sorry getting lost here. Was just trying to say that ceramic heaters work pretty well for me.

13. Komododragon12

I got the neodymium lights and they produce heat and UVA/B. Right now the warm side in Kamin's cage is about 90 and the cool side is about 80.

14. Merlin

Neodymium bulbs do NOT produce UVB, only UVA. All they are is a fancy colored incandescent light.
    You can do the same thing with a regular houshold bulb for much cheaper.

15. Komododragon12

I don't mean to be rude or to say that your wrong, but this is what the box said:
    100_1441.jpg

16. Merlin

You need to read more carefully. What the box says is that is that SUNLIGHT contains UVB and UVA. It doesn't say that the bulb generates UVB.
    All the neodymium bulbs are are heating bulbs.

17. Merlin

Labeling like that is one of my pet peeves. It makes it sound like you are getting something that you are not.

18. Komododragon12

Sorry here's the bottom half.
    100_1442.jpg

19. mld

They are very tricky doing this, they wait till the very bottom to say that you may also need to add UVB light source.
    They tricked you Komododragon12!

20. Merlin

Like I said. You need to read carefully. What you thought it was saying is not what it was saying.
    A good way to tell is if the bulb cost less than 20 dollars, its not a UVB bulb.