This Disappears When Logged In

Heat CABLE for racks

Discussion in 'Heating' started by okreptilerescue, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. okreptilerescue

okreptilerescue Elite Member

ok... so i've seen a thousand ways to heat a rack system with flexwatt... thats what we had... until it burned a hole in my tub, the flexwatt, and everything else, injured one snake, and gave another a pretty good high...

I have 40 foot of heat cable that i'd like to use when building our new racks....
    however...
    I don't have a clue how to do this...

Has anyone done it or seen someone that has?

Thanks

Beth

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Re: Heat CABLE for racks?

Beth I am not familar with the heating cable, but I was curious if you knew what had caused the problem with the flexwatt.

3. okreptilerescue

okreptilerescue Elite Member

I had it hooked up to a tstat. which is still operating properly.
    I had smelled something for 2 days and thought it was something in the heater b/c we had just turned it on again- and my husband said it was some one with a fire place b/c it smelled like wood.
    We blew it off.
    day 3 i went to clean tubs and when i pulled one out, it was stuck to the flexwatt and the carpet.

I got the temp gun out and put it on the rest of the flexwatt- which was at the right temp. even right next to where the HOLE was in the flexwatt. The hole was 6-8 in diameter. (the hole in my carpet matches... :mad: )

From what i have been told and heard on other websites- many others have had similar experiences.

Basically its a hotspot. The tub wasn't resting on the flexwatt - i make extra sure of that. when it started melting the tub, making it sag, it was touching the flexwatt, and it just went downhill from there.

3 people i've talked to said they ordered a large roll of flexwatt and had similar problems and had to throw out the whole batch- (and the makers of flexwatt don't care to refund your money either...)

All of this mess is why i'm building racks for EVERYTHING! (except the big girls of course)

Beth

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

The people I've talked to that have used heat rope highly recommend flexwatt over it. There is two different wattages of heat rope and I'm not sure which one would work best. You'll need to loop it back and forth several times to get enough heat under the containers. One way is to router a groove in the shelf to accommodate it. Again you'll need to wire it into a rheostat or better a thermostat. I myself don't have any experience with it. This is just reading that I've come across.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.