This Disappears When Logged In

He Ate!!!! Finally!

Discussion in 'Blood Pythons' started by Blood_Romeo, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blood_Romeo

Blood_Romeo Active Member

Well he just finished swallowing his first meal in over a month (xmas eve was the last time he ate). I am so happy that I had to tell someone. He has been through so much since December, I think he's finally on the road to recovery. He had a mite infestation, then shortly after, a respitory infection which then caused mouth rot. Mites gone, he's breathing normally now, and there are no signs of the mouth rot. I was THIS close to taking him to the local animal hospital, but I got some very good advice from my brother-in-law's cousin who is studying to be a exotic pet vet. I was afraid he would need antibiotics and stuff. But he is starting to look like the shape he was in before the infestations started. Correct me if i'm wrong but i'm guessing he's not very stressed anymore due to the fact he ate?
    I have been trying (in vain) to feed him over the course of the last month..he was just not interested in the mice. Didn't even want to look at it, it seemed. I bought a frozen adult mouse the other day, but again nothing. Then I realized that there was still shed skin over his head and eyes..so I helped him out with that yesterday. Tonight I got home from school and I had a feeling that he might eat tonight. So I thawed out the mouse in really hot water, and placed it close to his hide and before it was even touching the ground he peaked his head out the opening; And before I knew it, he had it in his mouth. The difference could also be because I'm feeding at night time, as opposed to day time.

At any rate this is a step in the right direction.

2. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Congratulations! It sounds like he's really starting to feel better. Eating is always a good sign.
    I've had a lot more successful feedings since I got a temp gun. Now I thaw the rats slowly in warm water, then dip them in hot water and blow dry /heat them up with a hairdryer until they are about 99F . I've found that this is around the recognizable food temp for the snakes and they usually snap it right out of the feeding tongs! The only time they don't show interest is if it is not warm enough.
    I'm so glad he's feeling better and the infection/infestations are clearing up!!

3. Joe

Joe Elite Member

I think the feeding at night time idea hit the nail on the head. Bloods are very shy creatures and do not like light as it makes them an easy target for preditors and prey alike. Most will only feed when it is dark, and they do not like being watched.

Ours will not strike feed, which I can't say I'm too disapointed at :D , so the thawed rat gets left in with her over night and is always gone in the morning.

Congrats on him eating hope he continues to do so :)

4. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Great!

Happy to hear that he is feeling better and eating well! :D

5. Rob Olivier

Rob Olivier Member

It is always a big relieve when they start eating again, congrats!

6. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Congrats! It's always a good sign when they eat!! :D

7. Blood_Romeo

Blood_Romeo Active Member

I dont want to get too excited just yet. I think i can make a big mistake by getting over confident with the situation. The respitory infection can still come back if i'm not careful. I'm keeping the air in the tank in the mid-80's right now and humidity fluctuates between 45-60%. There's a heat pad under his cave which keeps him warm.

I'm swabbing the lining of his mouth twice a day with a q-tip and a solution of diluted betadine to make sure the mouth rot has gone away. I'm seeing some small blood spots along the upper row of teeth which concerns me.

Apart from that, is there anything else i should be doing to ensure his problems dont reoccur?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.