This Disappears When Logged In

Hawaiian Plants for Anole

Discussion in 'Tropical Plants' started by Komododragon12, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Komododragon12

Komododragon12 Elite Member

Hey everybody! I'm going to get a small group of anoles, and wanted some species of plants from Hawaii that I could use in their terrarium. It is 27" tall, 28.5" long, and 16" deep. Any ideas?

2. Komododragon12

And if you can't find any hawaiian plants I'm fine with anything :)

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hawaiian plants covers a lot of territory! Do you have something particular in mind?

4. Komododragon12

Mainly ferns, vines, and lilies/orchids. Would hibiscus work or would it get too big?

5. Merlin

Both hibiscus as well as ficus trees will work for tall plants. And yes they will get big left on their own, but you can trim them. In fact with ficus you will end up with a much bushier plant because of trimming. They are frequently trained as bonsai subjects.

6. Komododragon12

Ok is there any vines or ferns you could recommend?

7. Merlin

Pothos is the old standard. Tough and easily grown. I really don't know anything about ferns.

8. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

English Ivy would be nice and also variegated hostas will tolerate light and love humidity. For orchids some tolerate light and some don't so researching would be an idea, I think a fern may work as long as its not too close to the heat/light.

9. Komododragon12

Ok, I'm thinking Boston Fern, Ficus, Assorted Bromeliads, and possibly a peace lily (It's prob. either that or the ficus). Thanks for the input!

10. mld

11. Komododragon12

Would a hibiscus get too tall?

12. mld

They can get tall, but you can keep it trimmed.
    Or if they get too bit, replace with another smaller one, here we get them as indoor plants and they are about 1 foot tall.
    Ficus can also grow large, but trimming may help keep them smaller and you can by bonsai ficus they are fairly small.
    Pothos are great for vines and easy to care for.
    Don't forget to make sure the soil that they are potted in is organic with no chemicals, pesticides, herbicides!

13. Komododragon12

Ok! I just tore out the bottom drawer, so I have about 26.25" of height. I'll probably put a ficus in there because they will be easier to bask on :) Pothos will definitely be in there too.... what should I use to seal it though? And since it has a closed top what should I do for lighting? I'm thinking of a full spectrum light and then a basking light.

14. Komododragon12

Here's my final list of plants I think I'm going to use: Cast Iron Plant, White Raja, Bird's Nest Fern, Assorted Bromeliads (Neoregelia, Guzmania, and Vriesea), A Red Small Talk Anthurium, Pothos, and a Boston Fern. Is this good? Oh, and I took out the bottom so there's plenty of room (50 gallons!)