This Disappears When Logged In

Having Trouble

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by sooperdave, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

As it cools, the water falls.
    Just run the pipe up and over the tank and then put a 90 degree fitting on it and it directs the mist into the tank.
    I know iguana keepers who use this method.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Haha. This made me laugh.

Merlin has it right, pipe up, 90 degree elbow, little bit of pipe, another 90 degree elbow into the tank, or you could do pipe up, then u-bend.

3. sooperdave

sooperdave Elite Member

Or....what if i close off the end of the pipe and just run it straight across and drill holes on the underside of it every inch or so apart. Then the steam would come out each hole all the way across right? Or would it all come out the first hole. I'm just brainstorming here.

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I believe you'll get the most pressure out of the first hole and it will decrease as you go across. Unless the whole system was pressurized.

5. sooperdave

sooperdave Elite Member

Ok so as of right now i have the humidifier with the pvc pipe running up over the top of the tank, moss scattered about, a much bigger water tank (about 12 cups worth) and i still come home for lunch to find the humidity at 35 percent. now I know I need a digital hygro. But are those analog ones THAT inaccurate or is something still not right. I'm stumped

6. Merlin

The analog ones are awful.
    They work by means of a metal spring that expands and contracts according to the level its measuring. Through corrosion, metal fatigue, or just plain shoddy workmanship they can have an incredible amount of variance, even right out of the box!

7. kriminaal

When I started incubating Uro eggs. The humidity had to be really high. I had "one of those" analog ones and I could never get the humidity high enough.
    Finally I bought a digital one (trust me they weren't cheap 10 yrs ago) only to find the humidity was too high. It killed all my eggs eventually.
    It was off by about 20-25 percent if I remember correctly.

Once you introduce water into an enclosure the only way it will escape is through any holes, cracks or what have you.
    One of my monitor enclosures is completely sealed up. The only air exchange is morning and evening for feeding.
    I put water into the substrate less than once every two months. There's nowhere for the moisture to go. But it does leak out or cook off eventually in the longterm.
    Another of my enclosures is nearly sealed up. With the only spaces being the crack in the doors, since they swing open.
    I need to put water in weekly.

8. sooperdave

sooperdave Elite Member

The herps don't suffocate in there?

9. kriminaal

No, they're fine. Keep in mind these are larger enclosures though. Four footers

10. untsmurf

untsmurf Elite Member

I have two enclosures that are almost completely sealed in. We had to drill holes in the sides to vent out some of the humidity. We were always 10% too high.

11. schlegelbagel

In the winter, my frog tanks are just about sealed. The added heat dries out things more so I have no choice. It doesn't seem to bother them, especially with the live plants in there.

12. sooperdave

sooperdave Elite Member

Would they sell misting systems at expos? Because there's one coming on Sunday here in St Louis.

13. Merlin

Thats one of the fun things about expos.
    You never know for sure exactly whats going to be there!

14. sooperdave

sooperdave Elite Member

I just bought hooked up a digitial therm. and hygro. from lowe's and the humidity on it is still reading 43% even after i just misted the **** out of the tank

15. sooperdave

sooperdave Elite Member

Ok, the sensor for the digital hygrometer is stuck kind of high up in the tank and it reads 45%. I put an analog one in there too. It's sitting on the bedding, up against a rock because I took it out of the old tank and it won't stick anymore. It reads 90%. So I'm not sure which is more accurate but is it safe to say that the humidity in there is at least somewhere between 60 and 80%?

16. schlegelbagel

Your tank will be more humid towards the bottom than the top, since its near the source of the moisture. Sounds like you have things right. Your best bet would be to put the digital one in the middle.

17. sooperdave

sooperdave Elite Member

Awesome. I figured that that's how it should be: Humid on the bottom and not so much up higher so he can dry out when he sits under the light. I can have some piece of mind now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.