This Disappears When Logged In

Having Trouble

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by sooperdave, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sooperdave

sooperdave Elite Member

I don't know how accurate my hygrometer is but I can't keep the humidity up for the life of me. Right now it reads 30%. I have a water dragon and it should be between 60 and 80%. I don't want him getting health problems because of this. I've been misting it all day and put some more moss in there but nothing works

2. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

What kind of gauge do you have? I would suggest getting a digital one and rechecking what the reading is and then decide what you need to do to fix the humidity. If you tell us more about your setup we can give you better ideas of how to help.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Is your top mesh? Cover up what parts the heat/light elements are not on, with plastic. Your humidity is going right out the top.

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Like Liz said, your humidity is escaping. You need to seal your enclosure up more. Post some pics and give us some details on it and we'll explain how.

To keep humidity in an enclosure the top should be sealed with the lights contained within. Any vents should be situated at the level of the substrate.

5. sooperdave

sooperdave Elite Member

Well I've got most of the top covered with a towel that I keep wet and last night I put a humidifier on the floor near the tank and that helped a lot.
    The humidity was at 70% this morning and after a misting it was at 85% for awhile. My friend told me to ditch the little spray bottle and get one of those pressurized sprayers. he said it made a huge difference for him. Oh and the thermometer and hygrometer I have are made by Flukers. They are the stick on ones with the gauges, not digital.

6. schlegelbagel

Those gauges are CRAP. Really. Get a digi one at walmart or home depot. They are so much more accurate and for a basic hygrometer/temperature one is $7.

Careful with that towel. A wet towel breeds bacteria. The sprayer is a great idea. I have one since i have 5 different enclosures to mist daily. Saves my hand a lot of work.

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I really dislike people using towels on top of their enclosures(sorry if I offend anyone). It's just too close to the lights. It's just too flammable.

How do you have your top constructed? Is it a screen top with the lights situated on top?
    The best thing to do is construct a sealed top box that contains the lights within. That is if you don't have enough room in the tank for the lights.
    The more sealed the enclosure the less trouble you will have. A towel just doesn't get everything. Plus I would think a towel is too porous anyway to completely block it escaping. It would however slow it down.

8. sooperdave

sooperdave Elite Member

Thanks guys I'm gonna eliminate the towel and just keep using that room humidifier and get the sprayer. But anyways, yes the lights sit on top of the screen.

9. schlegelbagel

You are still going to have to cover up part of the screen. Go for some plexi glass, heck i even use plastic grocery bag plastic.

10. sooperdave

sooperdave Elite Member

Might as well get the plexi. I'll be needing it to make a nice pool once I get him his new enclosure

11. sooperdave

sooperdave Elite Member

Also. They sell some kind of soil substrate at petsmart for snakes and tree frogs i think. Would that be ok for a WD and would it hold moisture more than the reptibark? And maybe i'll get him a bigger dish too. The one he has holds about 3 cups of water.

12. schlegelbagel

Reptibark can be dangerous, since they can swallow it, and it can clog up the digestive track. You can use the shredded coconut husk, just pack it down really good. Or you could use just tile, or linoleum, and put in a house plant for added cover and humidity.

A bigger dish is a good idea. They need to be able to submerge them self.

13. sooperdave

sooperdave Elite Member

Oh he can submerge. Just not his whole tail

14. sooperdave

sooperdave Elite Member

So Petsmart should have that coconut husk right? and is that the same stuff you use to make backgrounds with the silicon and great stuff?

15. schlegelbagel

Yes on both counts.

16. sooperdave

sooperdave Elite Member

17. schlegelbagel

Foggers are more for looks than anything. Plus i have heard of them malfunctioning and shocking the animal.

Try a standard humidifier. You can run PVC into the tank from it.

18. sooperdave

sooperdave Elite Member

I have one of those too but it doesn't do anything unless I put it directly underneath the tank then the glass gets really wet from all the steam and I'm worried about it starting to crack like when you put a hot mug on glass. Not sure if it would actually crack though. So, I would be best to run pipe from it into the tank but how. I would have to cut through glass and I don't have batman's equipment so that's out of the question.

19. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Nope. You don't have to cut the glass, just run the pipe up and over the top and let the mist settle into the tank.

20. sooperdave

sooperdave Elite Member

hmm. So that would really work huh? The mist rises though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.