This Disappears When Logged In

Having Trouble

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by 904cresteds, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 904cresteds

904cresteds Elite Member

finding it hard to keep humidity in my exo terra tank with my tree python
    since the cage has so many ways of letting humidity escape any thing i can do besides getting a new tank?:p
    if not i will just have to go back to my first idea and use a plastic container -.- i was just trying to make a more eye pleasing setup >.>

i have a water setup on the bottom and a little water pump that moves around the water...*makes a coool water fall effect*there is an island in the middle *made of sponge easy to clean*

[​IMG]
    from the front
    [​IMG]
    looking from above at the bottom
    [​IMG]
    bottom front view

2. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

ok not sure of where exactly the humidity can escape on your tank, not totally familiar with it... Is it the top and sides? I see the towel on top but can't tell if it is covering the sides as well... I would suggest trying to cover it with something that the humidity can't escape through, like plexi-glass or even foil. See if that helps. Also see if you can add a couple of small plants?

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

With those mesh cages humidity control is a nightmare!
    Your best best is to get some peices of plexi or acrylic cut to exactly the sides of the enclosure and attach them. You will be essentially converting the thing to a tank!

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Merlin, that looks like the all glass one, minus the top. The top has 2 screen windows.

Crested, your humidity is going right through the screen top. Cover half of it up with plexi, that should help.

5. Merlin

I do beleive you're right Liz.
    I just saw the screen on top and the towel hanging down the side and thought it was the mesh ones.:eek:

6. schlegelbagel

I came pretty close to picking one up. It was listed on Craigs list for $85 and came with a whole lots of supplies too.

But, i have decided my project this summer needs to be some landscaping, and not more frogs. Sad isn't it?

7. Merlin

Girl! What happened to your sense of priorties?
    The yard will be there next year!:p:p:p

8. schlegelbagel

That's what I said last year. I think the only thing missing at this point is a car that doesn't run in the middle of the lawn. The entire thing needs yanked out (minus the black eyed susans I planted last year) and started over.

9. 904cresteds

904cresteds Elite Member

it has doors in front..which dont seal super good..i try useing a towel lol it doesnt work becuase of the door's

10. Merlin

Now that I actually know which unit we are talking about,...:eek:
    Those are designed to increase air flow., The lower part is ventilated to pull air in and let it escape out the top. The large area of screen is where your problem lies. The warm air of the enclosure is moving up and pulling the humidity right out the top. Reducing the air loss thru the top is the best option. Get a peice of plexi that fits the top and cut a hole in it just big enough for the dome of your light fixture.

11. schlegelbagel

wood works good too, and its a natural insulator.

12. RES/AnoleLover89

RES/AnoleLover89 Elite Member

I use alumonum foil, shiny side down. helps the heat and humidity stay in my anole tanks, although it's none too pretty

13. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

are you using any heaters? a low heat source under the water will increase humidity. Substrate matter that will hold moisture also helps....you have sponge which should work amazingly. What humidity do you have at the moment?

As many have said....decreasing air flow will sort the humidity...but remember you still want some ventilation...you will get this from the door gap though. I also know which cage you ase using.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.