This Disappears When Logged In

Having Serious Problems with Humidity ):

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by ccole93, Apr 11, 2012.

1. ccole93

ccole93 Member

Hello, I just got my female Brazilian rainbow boa this morning. I put her in the cage and spritzed the entire thing, put in a bunch of damp moss, a little humid hide box for her, sprayed the walls of the tank, and covered the top with a piece of acrylic. The heat lamp is on. Problem is, the humidity will not go above 60. I'm getting really concerned because I've heard they can die if it stays this low. She's hanging under her log near the moss, where I'm pretty sure the humidity is a bit higher.

It's a glass tank, unfortunately. I have a Rubbermaid container but I'm not sure how to set it up properly. I'd rather use the glass cage, too. Is there anything else I can do? It was high earlier today and randomly dropped. I'm not sure if it might be the gauge itself misreading? I dunno. Any suggestions would be great.

Oh, and she has cypress mulch as her bedding.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Using an UTH that is 1/3 the size of the length of the enclosure, by plugging the UTH into a thermostat you will be able to adjust the basking spot to where you want it.

3. ccole93

ccole93 Member

I have one of them, too. Her water dish on the hot side and it's just not working. :/

4. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

What are you using to read the humidity? It might be a good idea to test it and see if it's reading is right. The dial ones are known for being off. Today I for 2 digital hydrometers plus thermometers at Home Depot for $8.97 each!

5. ccole93

ccole93 Member

Yeah I'm gonna get one in the morning since they closed two hours ago lol. I think the one I have is messed up. It will say it's at 90 then two minutes later it drops to 60. And goes back up again. @_@

6. ccole93

ccole93 Member

Sorry to double post, but the digital monitor is reading even lower than the one mounted on the wall. I just spritzed her cage and put the Plexiglass on top of it's only at 60%.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What brand of thermometer/hygrometer did you get? Some models only read humidity at the readout, not at the probe. So if your readout is outside the cage you are reading the humidity in the room, not in the enclosure.

Can you post pictures of the enclosure?
    You mentioned a tank. The screen tops are terrible for controlling humidity. Your best bet is to make a wooden top that completely seals the enclosure off.

8. ccole93

ccole93 Member

I asked the girl at the Home Depot if they had any and she said no, but I looked around and found a small one in their lawn/garden area. It isn't really fancy but it is digital. I put it inside the cage on the side where the moss is to see what the max humidity is getting to and it's still rising no higher than 60%, yet the round one I got from PetSmart says nearly 80%.

I'll have to go back to the hardware store tomorrow I guess to see if they can cut a top to cover the screen. :/ I bought a sheet of Plexiglass and it's not doing anything to help. The only part uncovered is the side where the heat lamp is.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

But what brand is it? The indoor/outoor ones with the remote probe, by Acu-rite are what most of us use.
    As for the top, just make your own. Something like this
    Custom Glass Tank Lid

10. ccole93

ccole93 Member

It's Acu-rite, but it doesn't have a probe. It's just a small square thing. It was $10 I think?
    I don't really think I can make that lid... lol. I want to put her in a plastic tub but I'm starting to run low on money now and can't get a thermostat.