This Disappears When Logged In

Hatchlings

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Japatul, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Japatul

Japatul New Member

Hi, all-

We now own four baby desert tortoises and I have a few questions about their care.

First the facts:
    1. They are two weeks old
    2. They are adorable
    3. They are currently living in a Tupperware container approx. 12" x 18"
    4. Substrate is coconut shavings, I am told
    5. They are eating spinach, arugula, romaine. They are eating very well.

So my questions:
    1. The weather has cooled off in the last few days. The lady who bred them said she wasn't heating them, but I think they need something now. Would my Zoo Med ReptiCare Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter 60 Watts suffice?
    2. How warm should they be?
    3. Should I be providing them with UV light now? How much, how long, etc?
    4. The Tupperware is nice because they can't get enough traction to flip themselves over. At what age will they be able to right themselves?

We have another Desert Tortoise we've had for two years, so we have some experience. She(?) is about 8" long.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Best,

Chris

2. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

I don't know much about tortoises, but how can you make a post like this without pics? I want to see the cute little guys :D

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

oh WOW. Well first lets answer your questions:

1. The weather has cooled off in the last few days. The lady who bred them said she wasn't heating them, but I think they need something now. Would my Zoo Med ReptiCare Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter 60 Watts suffice?

The CHE would be nice at night but look at getting an MVB as they need a place to bask that will also offer UVB.

2. How warm should they be?

They need a basking spot of 100+ and a cool side in the low 80's but no lower than 80F. Also they need a humidity of about 50-60% while babies.

3. Should I be providing them with UV light now? How much, how long, etc?

Yes they need a strong uv source over their basking area 12hrs a day.

4. The Tupperware is nice because they can't get enough traction to flip themselves over. At what age will they be able to right themselves?

Never. Desert tortoise dont have limbs long enough to flip themselves back over so when building them habitats keep this in mind. Both of my teenage desert torts are constantly flipping over and So I make sure they are checked on multiple times aday.

4. Japatul

Japatul New Member

TMNJ.PNG

Yeah, sorry about that, I couldn't get it to upload earlier.

They are tiny, you could fit one on a 3" post-it note with room to spare.

Their shells are soft, not sure when they'll harden up a bit.

They're kind of spastic and are a bit ruffianish for being so small. They like to climb over each other.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013