This Disappears When Logged In

Hatchling Queretara Kings

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by SSThorn, Aug 19, 2012.

1. SSThorn

SSThorn Elite Member

I cant get them started on Pinkies.
    Any ideas on how to get them started? Ive been told to "brain" the mice, but i dont understand how that will work.

2. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

cut the head open and expose the brain of the mouse. you can also rub the mouse on a dead lizard or snake, for 'scenting", wich is useful since i know alot of reptiles are just born to eat other reptiles :p.

3. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

You kill them and slice the top of their skulls open and squeeze a little brains out. The scent and the juiciness attracts them. If you just ate lunch you might want to wait a few hours so you don't lose it. Haha.

4. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

5. SSThorn

SSThorn Elite Member

Yes, They are hatchling ruthveni, alright, I'll use the steps on the website and see where it goes :p
    Thanks again Jlassiter.

6. SSThorn

SSThorn Elite Member

Thats what i meant by it not working. They dont normally smell the brains, so i didnt understand how braining the pinkie would help.

7. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Braining does trigger a feeding response.
    One of the best methods is to find a lizard they like and feed them pieces of it then scent pinks with that lizard.

It's not the snakes fault that we are trying to force European fancy mice on them.....

8. Knox

Knox Elite Member

You can also try scenting with tuna.

9. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

or chicken broth :)

10. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

These arent cornsnakes. Chicken broth and tuna typically doesn't work with Mexican kings but it is worth a try....

Whiptails, scelophorus, side blotched and anoles are their prey of choice.
    Some will take Meditteranean House Geckos.

11. SSThorn

SSThorn Elite Member

We got a good bit of Cuban Brown Anoles around here, would those work?

12. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

We have them here too and they have worked a some of my lizard eater hatchlings.

13. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

i would use a captive bred lizard to reduce the risk of disease transmission, but yes, that would work.

14. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Granted. Just trying to throw everything out there.

15. SSThorn

SSThorn Elite Member

I would do CB, but i dont want to spend 5$ on something i can catch outside, especially if its only for scenting.

16. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

you mean you have no lizards? o.0? that is an issue, we need to get you some lizards! :p

17. SSThorn

SSThorn Elite Member

I have two monitors, but if i try to rub a rat on them, they may not appreciate that.

18. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

ah i see.... well, good luck whatever lizard you use! and good luck with the monitors, i understand they can be a bit of a hassle sometimes, lol :p.