This Disappears When Logged In

Hasn't Eatin Yet

Discussion in 'Pythons *General*' started by 30mm, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

Hey guys my baby Woma hasn't eaten yet, I've heard for almost two weeks. I know she's probably still just getting used to her new home but I can't help it to be a worried daddy.

How long is too long for her not to eat? I've offered her food twice. She was fed on live fuzzies so I've been doing the same. Once she gets a couple meals from me in here I'm going to work on switching to F/T

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Have you been handling it?
    I know its hard to keep your hand off of a new snake but its best to leave it totally alone until it settles in and feeds.

3. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

I did take her out a bit the first week I had her. She's been left alone since then. It's sooo hard not to handle her but I've been good lately.

4. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

She can go several weeks or probably months without eating. If she's has the right temperatures, enough hiding places to feel secure and is not disturbed, she will eat when she's ready.
    Try not to worry.
    You can save yourself some hassle by buying frozen fuzzies now. When she's good and hungry she'll eat what she gets. If you keep her on some type of substrate, you'll have to put her in a separate feeding box, otherwise you can just put the fuzzy in the tank with her. Sometimes wiggling it around will just scare her off. She'll know it's food by the warmth and smell.
    Be sure to thaw the fuzzy out completely, warm it up under a lamp or hairdryer or in hot (not boiling) water and leave her with it in the dark. Try not to stress her by taking photos or watching the first time.
    Good luck and try to be patient. When she defecates for the first time, you should take the sample to a reptile vet and have her checked for parasites. It's just a precaution and something which should be done with all new reptiles in your collection.

5. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

Thanks, it's always good to hear that even if you pretty much know it yourself.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just another thought. Is the tank in a high traffic or noisy area?
    If so this could make the snake feel uncomfortable and too exposed to feed.

7. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

She isn't. She's in my room with the door shut. I'm never in there so it's quite peaceful. I guess my main worry is that she may starve herself for some reason. What a day it'll be when she eats for me!

8. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

Hmmm well I found a couple poos. They were green and a bit white with a crystalized look to them. I weighed her out and she's only lost a gram so I'm not frettin to bad. What's the deal with the poo though?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.