This Disappears When Logged In

Has Mites Won't Eat

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by TitoAndKatt, Jan 29, 2011.

1. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

My roommate's Boa won't eat and hasn't for a while. She claims it is because he has mites, but I have dealt with mite infestations before - some pretty bad ones too - and it has never affected Shiiva's appetite. Could mites make a snake stop eating?

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The stress associated with the mites certainly could.

3. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Hmm ok thanks.

4. Rich

How long has the boa been off food and how long have the mites been present?

5. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I have no idea. It is her snake - I am not involved in the care really. But if she doesn't DO something about it soon I don't know what I will do. She keeps claiming she will build him a bigger cage, but then she always has some excuse why she can't do it now and why it isn't done already. I offered to Build one and she refused claiming that she has a plan that she has been planning on for months and yadda yadda just hasn't had time etc etc. :mad: Well the 5 1/2' snake is still sitting in a 40 Breeder glass tank with paper towels, a small water dish, and a single hide that he barely fits in. I put in a big cardboard box with a hole in it and put the hide on top of that to give him 2 hide options and some height in the cage, as well as added a (bleached and scrubbed) driftwood branch for climbing. She removed the box, and the branch then fell to lay flat on the floor so it provides no climbing at all. I am getting SO sick and tired of seeing the poor thing in that tiny cage. She claims he is her baby and she loves him, but if she really loved it she would CARE for it. She uses him as a show-off status symbol. The only time I ever see/hear of him coming out of the tank is for feeding, or when she takes him places. She once got him stuck under her car dashboard because she let him WANDER THE CAR while she drove!!!! :mad: If I try to do things for him, she removes them or gets all huffy and angry and defensive. If I offer, she refuses. If I were to just build him a cage she would get very angry.
    While I would love to move into a place of my own, that is not an option at this point in time. Please do not judge me and say I need to leave or get a new roommate or report her or confiscate the snake or anything like that. That is just not an option as much as I wish it was, for many reasons - including financially. I have to continue to live with her, so I cannot afford to **** her off too much and I can't leave. I am in a bind on this one, and I feel like I have tried everything and there is not much else to do. It is eating me up though - I can't stand to see Perseus in those conditions. She is so proud and petty and flaked out on letting me have him. (Did I mention she works at a pet store and thinks she knows everything?) At this point I feel I have run out of options and don;t know what to do. Sometimes I will let him out or refill his water and clean his cage (which she does but not often enough for my satisfaction), but then that doesn't teach her anything other than more of an "I can leave it and it will clean itself" attitude. :(((

Oh and to make it better, she is blaming ME for the mites saying it came off of the branch. While that is possible, the branch was bleached and scrubbed and I have had several of the same branches treated the same way, taken from the same place, in both Shiiva and Tito's cages and have not seen a single mite... Either way, the branch has been in there for months, I am pretty sure he was still eating after I put it in, and I also feel like she would have noticed it earlier if she gave him more attention. :mad: *sigh*

6. Rich

You need to leave or get a new roommate or report her or confiscate the snake! (I am teasing you Kat. lol)
    What you could do when she isn't around is treat the enclosure and snake for mites. Some mite and lice spray for birds are almost undetectable. I use to use it regularly when I ran the iguana rescue. I have heard of people having success with the reptile relief spray as well.
    The mites need to be controlled before they infect your current collection or before you add more to your current collection.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I hope your reptiles are safe, and do not get the mites! You might want to insist on her treating hers for mites, if for no other reason that protecting your own.

8. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

Katt='s drama!!
    Just my view!! Could make for a good book!! :)

9. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

I agree with Rich, treat the snake and the enclosure while she isn't around. Reptile mites are specific to reptiles, if she works in a pet store where they have reptile she may very well have brought them home herself :p Don't you just LOVE know it alls!!!

10. boaterr

boaterr Well-Known Member

Are you serious, this whole situation makes no sense whatsoever. What makes even less sense are your post where you express interest in bringing even more snakes into this disastrous situation.

11. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

I agree, you are trying to find room for more animals, reporting that it is actually difficult to find the room. Why are you so desperate to own more? There seems to be too many in your household as it is. I know that you try to take excellent care of your pets but, honestly, I imagine that you seem to be as much of a "know it all" to her as she does to you. I would suggest that you stop trying to fix her enclosures to suit your ideals and stop preaching at her. She doesn't hear you, even if your advice is good, or do you enjoy banging your head against a wall. :confused:

12. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I totally agree!

13. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

HaHa! *glares* ;) I read the first bit and was like "HEEEYYY!!!" Then I read the rest. :p My roommate soaked Perseus and bleached his cage so we'll see if they come back. She is convinced that was enough, but I suggested doing it again in a few days to catch any eggs that might be hatching. It didn't sound like she would so I may give the cage a good spray with Mite-Off.

I came here looking for help, not rudeness. To boaterr - I find both of your replies to my threads both rude and uncalled for. What "doesn't make sense?" My Roommate's snake has mites and isn't eating. I was simply looking for confirmation that the mites could be contributing to the snake's loss in appetite, and venting some frustrations to people who (as fellow reptile lovers) have something in common with me and might understand my frustrations.
    In response to both replies... this is my roommate's snake, not mine. As for MY snake, my ball python, yes, she was sick. But just like kids, animals get sick on occasion. I kept close contact with my vet, and acted on her advice. Shiiva is now doing better and is happy, healthy, and eating. All of my animals have ample, clean cage space, fresh food/water, time out of their cages, and access to vet care anytime they need it. The situation is by no means "disastrous," an animal was feeling unwell, and I took the proper measures to monitor and help her, and followed my vet's advice and now she is feeling better. As for trying to get my roommate's cages up to "my ideals," I cannot count the number of forum members, especially newbies, who have been absolutely, tactlessly admonished for having much too small of a set up for their animals. It is not a matter of the cage meeting My standards, as the cage meeting the Minimum standards of care required for the animal and its health. The snake is unable to stretch out in the cage, and gets very little out-of-cage exercise. He does not have a hot and cold hide, humid hide, good climbing materials, etc. This snake is pushing 6 feet (over 5' not sure of exact length) and is in a 40 breeder. He has needed a new cage for a very long time.

As for finding Space for another cage...come on. HOW many people here have removed large amounts of furniture to allow for more reptiles?! :D I know of multiple people who have removed their couches, are building tanks under beds, into coffee tables, etc. If you think that me looking for the space for another herp is extreme and means I should not be getting another, perhaps several of the members here should consult you. ;) I technically have the room for several more cages, but I also prefer to have my room arranged in a certain way and am simply considering the best way to work the cage into my room, and to have it look nice all in one.
    I know that you both have the best interest of the animals in mind, but you do not know what my situation is. Period. All of my animals receive great care - it is something I pride myself in. It is not up to you to tell me what my limits are and are not. That is for me to decide based on the knowledge I have of my space, finances, care-abilities, etc.
    I am not looking to hurry and add another animal to my family right here right now, nor is it on an impulse. I have wanted a boa for a very long time, and have also planned on eventually getting another snake for some time. An opportunity came up to adopt a snake in need of a new home and so I looked into it. It wasn't right for me right now, so I turned it down. I am gathering information, mulling over ideas, and discussing options with the knowledgeable people on this forum. I am in no hurry, I will know when it is the right snake at the right time.
    Next time you decide to call such harsh judgments on a person you know very little about, well meant or not, please take the time to consider your words and how they might be interpreted. I in turn do not mean this to be rude towards either of you, as I know that you do have the animals' best interest in mind. But, I do not appreciate the responses and felt the need to correct some of the uncalled for and misinformed statements.
    Thank you.

14. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Thanks! :) So far I have seen no signs of mites in my animals. *crosses fingers* but they are in different rooms and I wash between handling, so that helps! :)

15. LovetheBaruu

I was simply trying to get you to look at the issue from your roommate's perspective. You can sure fling the mud-"She is so proud and petty" "I will let him out or refill his water and clean his cage (which she does but not often enough for my satisfaction.") but boy let anybody disagree with you- ouch!! I know where you get your "ideals" and I know that her care is substandard, but she is not looking to be educated and she may take better care of the snake if it is her idea and not something that you can claim credit for. Again, try to see it from her perspective. You complained about wanting more room, you mentioned trying, unsuccessfully, to find a larger home; that is why I commented about the lack of space/crowding. I do read your posts, you seem very excited about prospective pets in many of them, I will never forget your sad posting about losing a leo then, less than 15 min later you posted (so excited!!) about getting a breeding pair of cresties. Sorry, I thought we were all entitled to an opinion, even if we didn't tell you exactly what you want to hear.

16. boaterr

boaterr Well-Known Member

If you don't like being criticized don't post your business on the internet. No one called you an evil person, but based on the issues you claimed to have been having it was only rational for someone to conclude that getting anymore snakes was a bad idea. You come on a forum, post your drama about your roommate, tell people that the place where you live has mites "if mites are in one part of the house they can easily travel by hitching a ride on human clothing", and get angry because someone called it what it was.

17. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I did not post about losing a leo and then 15 min later talk about getting a crested. There were months in between then, and the leo died only a few days after bringing it home. It was not eating or pooping from day 1, and I tried to save it - I was still learning then. The crestie came months afterward - not minutes, or even days. I understand fully that my roommate may be frustrated at me. But when I see an animal sitting in a cramped, too tight cage, with no water for days in a row I get a little enraged. When I make suggestions, she gets angry. I then get frustrated because I just want to Help the poor animal, and thought that perhaps fellow herp lovers might sympathize, so I vented. It will not happen again, my apologies.

And a LOT - in fact most - of my recent posts about perspective pets were multiple posts about two snakes I was told I would be given and thus, wanted to make plans for well ahead of time. ;) I am now not receiving them, and as I was prepared for another pair of snakes, decided that in the future (near or far who knows - like I said atm I am gathering info, exploring my options) I would like another one. It is something I have wanted for quite some time.

I know mites can hitch rides, and I am watching all of my animals for mites. I am not getting a new snake right here right now. ;)

I know it is hard to convey tone in forums like this where all communication is just written word, but the wording and approach of both posts came across as rather rude. If I have interpreted them wrong in any way I am sorry. Like I said, I know you guys want what is best for the animals, but around here the approach towards the people is not always so...well-put. I was posting help for a problem, and to vent to people who had the love of reptiles in common with me about my frustrations in seeing one treated poorly, nothing else.

And for the record, for the most part my roommate and I get along quite well....except when it comes to pets we often bump heads. ...And taking out the trash. ;) lol BUT seeing animals in bad conditions (and I am sorry I consider a 40 breeder for a 5+ foot snake bad conditions) tears me up, and I do my best where I can. But you know what? I am HUMAN. So sure, I am sure she does get annoyed, and maybe I am at fault for continuing to make suggestions I know she probably won't listen to. I guess it's just part of my nature to want to learn as much as I can, and then pass on what I have learned to others (and no, I of course do not by any means consider myself an expert or anything approaching it).

Regardless, for those interested in the snake, he successfully ate several live mice today, and so far so good on the mites. :) We will see if any eggs hatch and become an issue later or not. Still no sign of mites in my critters, and of course I will continue to monitor them for the next several weeks. If anything else happens with the mites or appetite, I'll update, but for right now he appears to be feeling better.

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If there are mites, just soaking the snake and bleaching the cage will not get rid of them. Though it may give a temporary knock down of the numbers. All it takes is a single mite surviving and it starts all over again.
    This is one of those situations where it is going to take chemicals. And if there are mites in the house, sooner or later they will find their way to your animals.

19. LovetheBaruu

20. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Yes Merlin, you are right. And as I said I will be keeping a Close eye out for some time. I have a feeling the will return, *sigh* But she seems confident the one soak/bleach will do it. :/ She luckily doesn't handle my animals too much and they are kept in separate rooms so hopefully that helps. I do have some Mite Off though and will spray them all. I told her I had some if she wanted any and she said no thanks. I may still give him (and the cage) a good misting though. And probably my animals as a preventative.

LovetheBaruu - the gecko that fell did not die and is still alive and well. the one who died, I believe had an impaction from being kept on sand at the store.
    And I ended up not getting those cresties.