This Disappears When Logged In

Has Anyone Received and Used the New Mega Ray?

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by Geo7809, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

Has anyone used the new Mega Ray yet? How is it? Hows the quality? Thanks for any info.

2. ksola

ksola Elite Member

I got 2 -100watt bulbs in late june, supposedly they were upgrade-new. I waited 4 months for them. well one blew out in a month, the other lasted just short of 3 months. Thats what happened to me, I give up....I cant mess around with this stuff. I need bulbs to be reliable. You asked.

3. falconut

falconut Member

I bought one back in June and it blew in a month. It was the Solar Raptor they were using then. Apparently there was a huge problem with them. They blamed the company they used. I was supposed to get another bulb, since their guarantee was for 6 months and mine blew during that time. They asked me to contact the other company, which responded that they aren't responsible for the 110V bulbs. I forwarded their response to ReptileUV and have sent other follow ups. I have yet to hear back from ReptileUV. They are selling new ones and I believe from reading their website, expect the customers to eat it. Unless I hear back and get something, I won't do or recommend anybody do business with them. It's sad, they used to be a top notch company that cared, but apparently not anymore. Buyer be warned. I just went with Zoo Med Power Sun. I know it wasn't as good as the old Mega Ray, but they do stand behind their product.

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

ReptileUV is back to producing their old lights using their original company. They did indeed have issues with their overseas supplier (China) who didn't follow the specs they were given and bulbs were sent out with filaments that were much smaller than what was suppose to be in the bulbs. As a result of the issues Bob went back to Westron Lighting.

I don't know what happened with past accounts or the issues that are a direct result of all that, but I do know that people who are ordering their lights now are getting them. I also know that RUV is having an issue with their mail which was identified a couple hours ago and is being worked on. (I found out that one of the IP addies in our cluster is being blocked. Emails aren't being delivered properly.) For those who don't know, I am the server administrator for ReptileUV. I host them.

I understand your frustration with whatever happened but please stop opening threads that are over 6 months old to spam them with your story.

5. bobmac

bobmac Member

Yes, This is BobMac. After 7 years of distributing the worlds best reptile lighting at a fraction of the mark up that ZooMed has (most people that have run us over seem to forget that), we partnered with a German company, Solar Raptor. I helped their engineers recreate the original Mega-Ray as best as possible. They thanked me by dropping 2700 bad lamps on us and refused to stand behind them knowing that to pursue them would cost more money then a small company could ever come up with.

We developed a very safe lamp since last summer and tested it for 6 months before we were willing to sell them. As the factory has continued to supply us with reliable bulbs we have increased our orders along the way. We keep the website news feed posted on when the next deliveries will be. Our bulbs have an excellent UVB-UVI ratio. Most people don't know what that means, but basically we are the only ones supplying safe MV bulbs in the USA. This week Dr Frances Baines (UV Guide) listed the bulbs with the highest UVB-UVI ratings and ZooMed is at the bottom of the list. I feel that this is a dangerous bulb for long term use. Short wave radiation is destructive for the immune system over long periods of time.

Hope that helps

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi BobMac, do you have a link to Dr. Baines` list, because according to their website, the information is currently being updated, and there are no details available there at this time: (uvguide.co.uk)?
    Thanks!

7. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

She posted it recently on the UV Meters Group.