This Disappears When Logged In

Has Anyone Had the Same Problem?

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by smokeyy, Mar 29, 2011.

1. smokeyy

smokeyy Banned User

So I've had my mvb for 1 1/2 to 2 months and im still trying to figure it out...
    Usually my 1 mvb would produce enough heat at the min. distance, the other day i walked into my room and looked at my thermostats and my temps read,
    (hot side) 101.4-102.3
    (cool side) 89-92
    (basking spot) around 98 i believe

I watched my temps for a second( after i saved my iggy from toasting!!:mad: ) and turned my mvb off to let the temps go down, this was the first time i witnessed my light overheating my cage like that!!!

does anyone have any input?? i have a mega ray bulb, a 4x4x2.5 cage, and his basking spot is 12 to 13 inches away from the light. like i said this was the first time EVER his temps got that hot! his door on his cage is also 4x4 screen so it SHOULDVE gotten alot of ventilation, right?? let me know what yall think..

thanksss~!

2. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

Have the ambient temps in the room, in which the enclosure is, changed? We've had some big jumps and drops in temperature in some of our rooms recently, because of the weather.

3. smokeyy

smokeyy Banned User

I believe that specific day, the room,AND outside was prettyyy hot.
    but then i think also the next day, it happen again! and i do not know if it was hot inside or out on that day because i was at work all day, but my girlfriend was there to save the day!!! :D and she placed a cool fan towards his cage so it kind of balanced the temps and made them correct, but then soon after that day the light turned off and cooled then following day and still it hasnt warmed up that high so now ive had to place TWO lights on to correct his temps... idk what it might be.:confused:

4. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

The hot day could explain the enclosure getting hot. Once hot, I can imagine it taking a while to cool back down again. This is one good reason to have your heat source connected to a thermostat, to keep the temp within specific ranges.

Perhaps there is something wrong with the MVB, or perhaps the fan cooled it down too quickly and damaged it. Or did you move it at all while still hot? They are quite delicate apparently, this is one of the drawbacks to them.

Even if you have a faulty MVB, I still think the hot day was the initial cause of the 'heating up', so it would be a very good idea to get a thermostat.

5. smokeyy

smokeyy Banned User

yeahh before hand i had read ALOTTT about them and happen to come across that aswell, i happen to have done that ONCE when i first got the light but it was because when i first got it i didnt know it was suppose to "warm-up" before i came on, and i thought it was broken or something cause i would try and turn it on and it would take a few moments, sometimes minutes to turn on for some reason, and a few times i turned off the light due to it being to hot(while my iggy was out)and turned it back on but i did not know it had to cool down before it was turned back on. now i do! but i dont even touch it anymore, my timer turns it on, and its placed where it needs to be so no one touches it!:p

and do those thermostats really work? or is it just a waste of 40 bucks?... i never really looked at what they do i thought it was mainly for other kinds of herps...

6. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

I'm sure there are good ones, and bad ones, like anything else. Someone was asking for recommendations recently http://www.herpcenter.com/heating/33778-recommend-thermostat.html

Specify "other kinds of herps". A thermostat is for regulating temperatures, it's got nothing to do with the herp, it's to do with the room you are keeping it in. I'm lucky, the room where we keep our beardie has a constant temp, but I will eventually get a thermostat, just to be on the safe side.:)

7. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

What wattage is MegaRay bulb do you have! 12-13 inches seem a bit too close for the MegaRay bulb. If it the minimum distance for the 100 watt bulb just place it farther away.
    If it the 160 watt bulb you will need a minimum of 18 inches from basking spot.

8. smokeyy

smokeyy Banned User

well i thought it was mainly for animals like beardies and monitors and snakes and animals that needed a certain "Higher" temp., i never really looked into a thermostat...or what the functions of it are...

and i have a 100 watt ,min distance req cause if i happen to have it any more farther(due to the HIGH ventilation of screens) it wont heat up my basking spot as high and right now i ACTUALLY have it right under 95, and the ambient is always 83 to 89 ALWAYS except night time... of course. but i thought about that and even while using another light(basking) it stays the same because i have the basking light a TAD bit higher then my mega ray so it doesnt throw off to much heat into my cage, just enough... but i think it has to do with that door!! i really wanna use plexi glass instead of having it wired...

9. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

I was just yanking your chain a bit there, sorry if it bothered you. :)

10. smokeyy

smokeyy Banned User

oh not at all bro!, HAHA I just like to prove MY point you know,

but really, these thremostats... how do they work? and what do they do with my lights?

11. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

I think (in basic terms), you set the max temp in your enclosure. The thermostat monitors this, if it gets too hot, it turns off the lights until the temp falls below maximum.

12. smokeyy

smokeyy Banned User

o thats bad a! i didnt even wonder what they did! lol until i started reading threads involving this... i dont really need it for my iggs cage due to it only has happen a few times, but i prob will be thinkin bout gettn one.

13. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

If you can afford it, I guess you could compare it to having insurance. You'll probably not need it, but you'll be glad it was there if you do. :)

14. smokeyy

smokeyy Banned User

true dat true dat... yea i saw one the other day at petsmart i believe was on sale! Probably already gone but ohwell... they do seem pretty handy.. ive been looking for a good humidifier aswell, but they all seem so darn expensive...

15. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

16. smokeyy

smokeyy Banned User

yess sirr, i have been looking at those ones and a few others on amazon... im just waiting to actually spend the money on it.. lol i really need to tho. not money issues just have to spend wisely,
    you dont think possibly a warm mist would be a bad idea??. or would it depend on the environment like the light??...

17. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

The item in the link I posted does a cool mist, but a warm mist might be better.

If you have a warm mist, it gives you the humidity without lowering the temperature. A cool mist will lower the temperature slightly.

You can test it yourself if you have a spray bottle with a fine mist lying around. Fill the bottle up with water as hot as you can get from the tap. Hold your hand out a foot or so in front of you, and mist it. You should find that it feels warm, not hot.

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ok back up and regroup here. A thermostat on a MVB is a really bad idea. The UVB needs to be running all day. The stat will have it going off and on over and over and will wear out the bulb, not to mention depriving the ig of its UVB.

Or are you talking about putting the basking light on the stat?

19. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

That's a very good point Merlin, I lost sight of that, thanks. I think it would have been the MVB that he would be putting it on because he didn't mention any other bulb.

So, to prevent this situation that occurred, what would you suggest? A lower wattage MVB and add an incandescent with a thermostat connected to that?
    If it has happened at this time of year, it's likely to happen more often as we come into the summer.

20. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

He said he had two bulbs.