This Disappears When Logged In

Harbor Freight for All Your Snake Needs. :)

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by PrincessPiper, Jun 26, 2012.

1. PrincessPiper

PrincessPiper Well-Known Member

Ok, when I got Nagini I spent like forty dollars on a beginner snake kit. It didn't even have everything I need. I went into Harbor Freight store today and for sixteen dollars I got a new clamp light, digital thermometer, and some huge feeding tongs! The worker there was clearly a herp lover because she kept finding other stuff I may need and suggesting different things :)

2. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

That's awesome! :)

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I don't buy much of anything from pet stores. You can usually find far better things at hardware (or other) stores that are not only of a higher quality, but also cheaper. Who can argue with that?

Landscaping and garden centers for stone and driftwood, and sometimes substrates (if you can't scavenge your own).
    Pharmacy for heating pads, as opposed to a UTH. Also, pedialyte, and certain vitamins (pure calcium, etc)
    Grocery store for fresh produce (as opposed to canned diets) and baby food for sick animals.
    Hardware stores for lights, lamps, fixtures, sprayers, thermometers, indoor/outdoor carpet, etc.
    Bait stores for food, if you feed carnivores.
    the list goes on!

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL! Most of us tend to use the hardware stores for our equipment. Usually a lot cheaper and better quality than the pet store stuff.

5. PrincessPiper

Luckily I got my under the tank heater, hide, branches, ivy etc for $20 on craigslist that had never been used so I got Lu ky there

6. mrsplumbfitt

mrsplumbfitt Well-Known Member

Wow I feel stupid. We spent at least 150 bucks getting all the light fixtures and what not for our bearded dragon not to mention the stuff for our BP. I had no idea about hardware stores! Thanks guys!

7. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I love harbor freight--highly recommended for any IR temp guns.

8. PrincessPiper

I forgot to add that I picked up a heat bulb and a UV bulb from Salvation Army for 50 cents each. Random find but I wasn't gonna pass it up. :) On a side note, my digital thermometer is reading the same temps as my analog ones..

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

For just daytime heat, a regular old incandescent will work just fine.

10. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

Here's one you wouldn't expect (and it's not a self-plug, promise): Pottery Barn or West Elm for outdoor rugs. They can add some nice design to your enclosure, are very easy to clean, are very durable, and spare sliding issues on perches (they also make good hammocks). I also appreciate them because some are made of recycled materials, such as recycled coke bottles. If you call your local store in the fall/winter, you can get them dirt cheap (I got an 8x10 for $60), and cut it up (put a simple hem on the rough edge with a sewing machine, but it could be hand done as well). There are a lot of other places that sell them, I know, but the price is pretty good and the designs are pretty neat. Just throwing in my 2 cents.