This Disappears When Logged In

Happy Holidays To Me

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Dragoness, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Boss gave me a nice Christmas bonus, and told me "Go buy yourself another reptile."

How could I not? I mean, he is my boss...

Mangrove Snake - Boiga dendrophila

Been wanting one of these for years, but was reluctant to ship one. This guy popped up at the local reptile show - something I did not expect, so I didn't hesitate, and he followed me home. The vendor had 3 of them, I picked out a male, but was sorely tempted to get a female too, just to breed them. They breed in captivity, but there is little demand for them, and few people doing it.

Right now, he is in quarantine, because his origins are almost certainly wild caught (Most snakes of this species available are) As a result, he has some rub, already on the way to healing, and a nipped tail.

he was a sweetheart when I handled him at the show, but he was cold right then, too. I keep handling to daytime only, and so far, his temperament seems fairly stable, even now that he has good heat and environment.

QT is in a sterilite container with paper towels sprayed with miticide. He will be moving into an arboreal cage, similar to the setup for my JCP, with a radiant heat panel up top, and a vertical heat gradient, high-hides, etc.

Because he is rear-fanged, and mildly venomous, the cage will be built so that it can be maintained without having to touch the snake - this is to accommodate the people who have to care for him in my absence. A removable partition will trap him in one half of the cage, so the other half (the bottom, where water dish will exist, and poop will land) can be completely sectioned off trapping him up top for carefree and contact-free maintenance.

now, Pics!

Mangrove snake | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Mangrove snake | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

billrogers likes this.
  2. billrogers

billrogers Established Member

Beautiful Pictures!

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

4. Salty Rob

Salty Rob Active Member

Wow that's awesome. Thanks for sharing a beautiful species

5. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

If I were ever to get a venomous snake, that would be the type I would purchase.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

well, from reading up on them, and talking to and reading posts by other people who have owned (and been tagged by) Mangroves, I feel confident with it. There is a picturesque thread (on another forum) from a guy who was tagged, documenting the progress of the bite. It isn't pretty, and it took 2 weeks to resolve. He had quite a reaction to it, but other people have said they only experienced a bad headache, and some soreness in the lymph glands in their armpits. Some people report no reaction, though that could be a dry bite.

Most people seem to indicate that you are more likely to react to their venom if you show a sensitivity to other venoms, (such as from bee, ant, or scorpion stings, spider or centipede bites). I have little to no reaction to most invert venoms I have encountered - to include no reaction to most hymenoptera at all.

The consensus seems to be that if you get tagged, take some ibuprofen, and ride it out, that's about all a clinic or hospital can do for you anyways.

The only downside is that I work in foodservice - if I were to have a reaction, I would have to go to lengths to hide it for work, which is fine. Black or purple (non-clear) gloves, and wearing long sleeves, lol. Considered wearing gloves, just to protect hands (arms being easier to cover), but a glove that could protect from a bite would make it difficult to handle - I don't care for the lack of control I have when wearing leather gloves.

Salty Rob likes this.
  7. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Had the chance to see this guy in person, definitely a beautiful animal. If I ever do anything venomous though, it would be a beaded lizard or whatever. Similar low risk of issues.

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

He definitely has (had) mites.

I kind of expected as much, given that he was wild caught. We had started treating him with miticide as soon as we got him, and are doing QT in a separate room in the house. I haven't seen a single identifiable mite in about a week, but I am going to keep him in QT longer, just to be safe, a few more weeks at least.

I was able to discern that he belongs tot he subspecies Boiga dendrophila melanota. I am very tempted to take a female, if I see another, and consider breeding them. Though his temperament has been fine, and he is a ready eater on F/T, I hear that CB babies are much more docile than the WC adults.

I think I have also been bitten by the Boiga bug. I'm looking into other cat snakes, as well, as many of them are beautiful beyond words, particularly B. cyanea, and B. cynodon, In my opinion.

9. king1239

king1239 Elite Member

love the contrast of the bright yellow on black :0

10. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Beautiful new snake for your collection, I'm surprised you passed on the female though. If you're going to keep them might as well breed them, lol.
    I'd jump at the chance for a cat snake, or a red mangrove for that matter.

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have since decided that breeding is in my future. They pop up from time to time at the show, and it would be nice to have an unblemished CB baby (from what I understand, the CB are always of a more steady temperament than the WC individuals.)

There are a LOT of beautiful Boiga out there.

For that matter, have you seen Chrysolpelela ornata? gorgeous snakes, and also mildly venomous.

12. toddnbecka

Yes, I've even seen a few flying snakes available online, but always wild caught, and I doubt they'd be in great shape or do well in captivity. Also difficult to maintain properly, more trouble than I want to go to anyway, lol.

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

my mangrove is WC, and came with mites (which I rather expected). We started treatment with miticide on day one, before we even knew he had them. He is of course, in quarantine, in a separate room of the house.

The guy who sold him said he was eating well on small rats, and so far, he has been a very good eater - not fussy at all.

I'm about to kick him up to small rats (as opposed to the weanlings he is currently eating).

He is, however, shy about eating. I have only observed it once, and I have spent hours watching. Very nocturnal, too. the one time i watched him eat, I put the rat in before lights out, and then sat and watched for forty minutes while he didn't move. Two minutes after the lights were out, he took it, lol.

Some individuals settle into captivity better than others, but it's that second generation I'm looking forward to.

14. toddnbecka

Are you feeding live or f/t rats? I'm curious about how effective their venom would be on a rat, since it has a relatively mild affect on most people.

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

F/T, and he eats without question.

These guys will also take birds and reptiles in the wild, so the venom might be more keyed to a different class of animals altogether.

Just finished reading Bryan Fry's memoir - very interesting observation about mangrove snake venom effects.

16. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Hey Jenn!

I know this post is a few months old, but so just wanted to say...What a beautiful mangrove snake you have! Really makes me miss having mine. I think of all my snakes I had, I really miss my Burms and the mangrove the most. Like yours, mine was so calm. He never tried to bite except when I made the mistake of pulling a piece of his stuck shed from him and he tagged me. Of course, it was a dry bite, but I never once regretted having him! Also like you, I would not hesitate to breed a pair if I had them. One day though...one day!

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Getting a female is on the to-do list, especially now that the male is established!

David McConley likes this.