This Disappears When Logged In

Happy Birthday Joe!

Discussion in 'Birthday Wishes' started by Bitis Gabonica, Mar 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL! Maybe we all need to get together and come up with an english to english dictionary! :p

2. Joe

Joe Elite Member

lol don't you mean correct English to American English :D

3. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Now now don't start that argument again.. Dom will join in and start talking about the monarchy! :D

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,
    Happy Birthday Joe! I hope you have a good one!

Also, we really don't want to start discussing the 2 englishes. After all, last I checked, more countries in the world use the American English as a second language opposed to those that use Englands English. (When adapting a second language, do ANY other countries use your english, or do they too find it confusing? lol)

5. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Happy Birthday Joe...this has become an interesting thread....LOL....cracks me up...but enjoy your day anyways...Lyn

6. Bitis Gabonica

Ah Rich, that's because those countries are just as stupid as you lot when it comes to language! :p Now, I won't say it again.. we "invented" the language!! :D Hehe ok that's it, no more or battle of the US vs UK language wars will begin again :D

7. Joe

Joe Elite Member

Cheers guys!

You said it in three words Rich....the two englishes, surely by literal definition english has only one correct form, that being the one from England, otherwise it would be referred to as American would it not?

After all it is not my fault that the rest of the world choses the easier, by that I mean the butchered version of our languge :) to learn as a second language, we can not expect everyone to be as intellectual as us English now can we?? :D Or could it be due to the fact that like us English during the Victorian era, America under George Bush is stating his own empire and thus the American English is now being taught in countries under American rule...sorry occupancy (see you can use the languge when you try :D) :D :D

(This is a joke and is meant in that way if anyone feels it isn't then feel free to remove it)

8. Bitis Gabonica

LOL :D Couldn't have said it better ;)

9. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

English-English

British/American:

purse/wallet
    handbag/purse
    underground/subway
    subway/underground walkway or passage
    pants/underwear
    trousers/pants

Now what's so confusing about that?!?! (And that's only the smallest fraction of the differences.)

10. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Happy Birthday Joe. After all that the only important thing I got out of it was that a pub is a bar!!! Have a great day.

11. Joe

Joe Elite Member

Thanks Jay

Aah but Jay my friend a Pub is so much more than a bar.....

12. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JOE! 23...wow, I was 23 once...a very long time ago :eek:

Blancmange
    Pronunciation: bl&-'mänj, -'mänzh
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English blancmanger, from Middle French blanc manger, literally, white eating
    : a usually sweetened and flavored dessert made from gelatinous or starchy ingredients and milk

My friend in Compeigne mentioned this dessert once... :)

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Now THAT I will give you!
    Joe anyone that has been around here any length of time should realize that there is a lot of good natured ribbing goes on, from both sides of the ocean!
    We are all friends and family here which leaves a bit of leeway for some teasing.

Even if you guys do talk funny! :p

14. Bitis Gabonica

Pub/bar = mmmm! :p

There you go Merlin - the definition of blacmange; it's really horrible IMO, kind of like a mix between cold set custard and jelly (our jelly!) :p

Ah now,. Andrea.. we use purse and wallet - a purse is a female's money keeping accessory, a wallet is the male version,. but the American purse is our handbag! Hahaha confused you all now haven't i!! :D

15. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

I'd give anything to get to go to a real pub! We don't have anything that qualifies around here...*sigh*

16. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

I'm just not ready for you guys today! LOL :p
    I've had a migraine for 3 days now....maybe this is why, all your language barriers confuse me! :eek:

Have a great Birthday Joe! I hope you get a hunk of coal for a present! lol

17. Joe

Joe Elite Member

WE talk funny!!! I feel you are gravely mistaken my good man...take Iraq for instance....since when is it pronounced Eye-Rack???

The beauty of England...there are about 30, but 1 really good one within 5 minutes walk from where I work :)

No No No No, this is where you are wrong...it is your language barriers that get in the way :D

18. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

have a wonderful b day! :)

19. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

You know....I had my first child at 23....almost 19 yrs ago....wow....I dont believe in barriers actually....we just use different "terms"...thats all LOL....Lyn

20. Ace

Ace Elite Member

hey!

Happy birthday Joe! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.