This Disappears When Logged In

handling?

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by fangsalot, Oct 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fangsalot

fangsalot Elite Member

ok so i see the pics with you guys handling your chondros...ive seen a close up pic of chondro teeth before and mine swings out and trys to tag me everytime im in her cage, what are you guys crazy, or is it really possible to handle my littl girl?---> [​IMG]

2. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Probably... actually chondro teeth aren't really much bigger than rainbow boa or ball python teeth... there is A LOT of confusion between GTPs and ETBs: Corallus caninus... appropriately named as they have huge canine fangs.

Having said that, GTP teeth are as sharp and plentiful as every other python and getting bit isn't always fun.
    Most people don't recommend handling chondros in the first year or year and a half because they have extremely fragile spines (especially close to the tail). I've taken my chondros out CAREFULLY with a snake hook... wait for them to crawl onto it and then take them out OR remove the perch they are sitting on (for photo-shoots, weighing, etc.) Often our babies will climb off the stick and onto our hands or arms... it's important not to pick them up with your fingers (pinching)... let them crawl onto something and support them gently underneath their bodies. Never pull a chondro (especially a baby) off of anything: even if it's your hand they latched onto with their teeth. They'll let go when they realize they can't swallow it. Yanking your hand away can break not only their teeth but their necks! These are very fine/fragile babies: our 5 month old barely weighs more than a newly hatched BP!

If I reached my hand into the enclosure at night, our little girl would bite it in a second -- our other chondro has never bit (yet) he hisses and hides his head... but he might bite if I bugged him enough!

They're not really "handling" snakes but will learn to tolerate the occasional "outing" if it's done gently and carefully. In most cases, I'd recommend waiting till she's a year old though... AND get a snake hook or removable perches!!! ;)

Here's a couple of pics of our kids that got bored sitting out on their perches:
    Crichton:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Aeryn (she bites: but as you can see: it's not so horrible -- she's still tiny though!!) ;)
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

3. Dragonden

Dragonden Elite Member

Looks like Aeryn got you a few times there, it's a good thing she's still small. Beautiful pictures. :)

4. fangsalot

fangsalot Elite Member

:( man yesterday i did pull her out of her tank(kinda ruff)shes fine but i wish i read this sooner.but now i know.you kinda scared me about the spine thing.she does look really good though,nothing out of the ordinary.i went up to her cage and she lifted her head,looked at me at flicked her tounge a couple times(tomarrow is feeding time and she knows it)thanks for telling me,thank goodness you responded.im kinda used the big boas and pythons so i kinda had those handling techniques in mind when i took her out of her enclosure :mad: i learned something new(a good reason why i love this "hobby")and ill treat my lil girl a lil more delicate,thanx! :)

5. GAsnakeman

GAsnakeman Elite Member

Mine will tag me every time when i reach into their enclosure. they seem to just be territorial though, not aggressive. I use a hook to remove them from the enclosures and once they are out they are both easily handled and fairly tame as long as there are no sudden movements. I enjoy handling both mine.
    One of them used to be super aggressive, but tamed downed easily once I handled him a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.